Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't activate iMessage : number says already registered on another device

So I've been stuck here. I can't deregister my phone number from iMessage and yet i want to register it on a different device. I recently changed my idevice from one to another and I don't have access to the older one. There is no Apple support in my country or region physically or online. So I can't use the online tool. Any suggestions? I've always swapped apple devices before with no problems

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 11:03 PM

First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency who issued the SIM to you

If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One SMS Only)

See the pic below

4 Step Process --> Turn off and restart iMessage and FaceTime (The order/sequence is very important)

1. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
  3. Restart your device.
  4. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on (Watch the GIF hereunder)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2021 11:03 PM in response to Joshsnailz

First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency who issued the SIM to you

If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One SMS Only)

See the pic below

4 Step Process --> Turn off and restart iMessage and FaceTime (The order/sequence is very important)

1. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
  3. Restart your device.
  4. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on (Watch the GIF hereunder)

Jul 2, 2021 11:02 PM in response to Joshsnailz

Where is the SIM with the Old Number, If it is not with you or you have given it back to the Carrier Service Provider, Then don't bother about it.

If you have it with you and want to use it with an Android device then put the SIM on any Phone (Apple or Android) and follow the GIF

Insert the same SIM into an Android or an iPhone. You may deregister iMessage online

Watch the GIF below. Here I have used another iPhone for the demo but for you, it may your choice. Android or iPhone device.

Jul 7, 2021 6:27 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks, the challenge with following instructions on the gif is that My country does not show up on the list of country codes which support that method.

I have the SIM, I actually wanted to use it in a new iPhone but my iMessage wouldn't activate because it kept saying my number is already registered on a different iphone.

After a few days of desperation and just using my apple id for iMessage it eventually just activated in the background.

Someone's gotta do something for this process for the rest of the world out here.

Can't activate iMessage : number says already registered on another device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.