Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for external hard drive to backup MacBook air

I need an external hard drive that you can recommend that’s not difficult to use, will store what I need and is under $100. Is there anything like that? My computer is threatening to die and I need to make sure I have a good backup. Thanks for any help you can give.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 6:22 PM

I only buy either hard drives or SSDs at OWC:

www.macsales.com

They are Mac centric and have quality products. Note: All hard drives will fail sooner or later. If you decide on a hard drive, stay away from 5400 rpm spinning drives because they are too slow; 7200 rpm is acceptable. If you choose an SSD, they are super fast, but much more expensive.

So, basically, you plug it in and go to Disk Utility (in your Applications folder). Highlight your external on left and erase it first. Most have some irrelevant software installed - it is not needed. When finished, format it Mac OS extended (or APFS) and then it is ready to go. If you want to clone your internal so you can boot from it, then get CarbonCopyC;oner or SuperDuper. Install that and then run it following their directions - you will have an exact clone copy of your current system on the external drive and can boot from it and run your normal tasks from that.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2021 6:22 PM in response to styler918

I only buy either hard drives or SSDs at OWC:

www.macsales.com

They are Mac centric and have quality products. Note: All hard drives will fail sooner or later. If you decide on a hard drive, stay away from 5400 rpm spinning drives because they are too slow; 7200 rpm is acceptable. If you choose an SSD, they are super fast, but much more expensive.

So, basically, you plug it in and go to Disk Utility (in your Applications folder). Highlight your external on left and erase it first. Most have some irrelevant software installed - it is not needed. When finished, format it Mac OS extended (or APFS) and then it is ready to go. If you want to clone your internal so you can boot from it, then get CarbonCopyC;oner or SuperDuper. Install that and then run it following their directions - you will have an exact clone copy of your current system on the external drive and can boot from it and run your normal tasks from that.

Jul 3, 2021 2:57 PM in response to styler918

No external drive is hard to use after you format it for a MAC (e.g. APFS). The size and style (SSD or mech.) will determine the size. How large is your internal drive? You best bet if your internal is dying is to clone it to an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. Then you could boot from the external and use that drive. In this case get an SSD the size you need. You can get a 1TB SSD for about $100.00 then get a SATA connector or enclosure for the drive. Also you can make a TM backup which you should have done already then transfer that to your new Mac when you get it during initial setup.

Jul 3, 2021 4:18 PM in response to tbirdvet

My drive is 256 mb? I used to be more computer literate, but too many years have gone by.

questions

1. So once I get the hard drive I just connect it and go into disk utility and format it?

2. not sure what a carbon copy cloner is. Is that an app? I’m looking to get a new computer. So is carbon copy a good option? I definitely want a clean start for the computer. Just the data and the programs I’ve purchased.

3. Do you have a specific model of an ssd that you know is good?

Jul 4, 2021 6:11 AM in response to styler918

Carbon Copy Cloner is an app that will make an exact copy of your internal drive that you can also use to boot your Mac with. I have used it many times and it works great. I usually use Samsung SSD's for cloning but other drives also are acceptable. In your case a 500 GB drive would be plenty. I assume your internal drive is 256GB and not 256MB?

Looking for external hard drive to backup MacBook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.