Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K Buffering Solution

I've had my ATV for a while but it has suffered constantly from the start with buffering. I can watch Prime, Netflix, Sky Q and ironically Apple TV app on a Samsung TV without issue. All online advice always try to blame the broadband for this but no one can answer the simple issue of why can watch all of the others if the broadband is bad (It's a solid 36Mbps BTW)

I pay for ATV+ so was getting frustrated that I cant watch it downstairs on the big TV that has the actual ATV 4K box! I did all the restarts, resets of the ATV & broadband router all to no avail.

In a last-ditch effort to save the ATV from the sledgehammer, I called Apple Support.

After initially blaming my broadband (no surprise) and checking all my settings and network it was pretty much dismissed at too much bother until the chap casually mentioned about seeing if I had 5Ghz on the BB router, I said it was switched off as I didn't use it. He said it was much better to use that if the router was fairly close, so I switched it on and voila, buffering gone!

Now, you may wonder why I'm moaning about it.

It's just that with such a simple solution to an issue why isn't it advice that is given in self-help searches and possible solutions on Apple Support pages.

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 6:44 AM

seeing if I had 5Ghz on the BB router, I said it was switched off as I didn't use it.

That may be thought of as an unusual action. If you change it from the default settings, then it is assumed that you know what you are doing, including the consequences and drawbacks.

The 5GHz band has shorter range but higher throughput, and is often less congested, which makes it often the better choice for devices that support dual band.

It is generally recommended to have both bands active (under one combined SSID network name), and to let devices select the Wi-Fi channel on the band that they connect to easiest (best signal of the two). Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

It's just that with such a simple solution to an issue why isn't it advice that is given in self-help searches and possible solutions on Apple Support pages.

Thank you for adding this to the ASC forums. I hope it turns up in searches for users with the same issue.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2021 6:44 AM in response to DeeDee71

seeing if I had 5Ghz on the BB router, I said it was switched off as I didn't use it.

That may be thought of as an unusual action. If you change it from the default settings, then it is assumed that you know what you are doing, including the consequences and drawbacks.

The 5GHz band has shorter range but higher throughput, and is often less congested, which makes it often the better choice for devices that support dual band.

It is generally recommended to have both bands active (under one combined SSID network name), and to let devices select the Wi-Fi channel on the band that they connect to easiest (best signal of the two). Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Thank you for adding this to the ASC forums. I hope it turns up in searches for users with the same issue.

Jul 4, 2021 6:53 AM in response to DeeDee71

Welcome to the world of high tech troubleshooting. First of all, if you think this kind of problem is exclusive to the Apple TV you are sorely mistaken. And if this issue was frustrating for you then just wait until you enter the world of 4K/Dolby Vision/HDR/Dolby Atmos streaming. It’s a nightmare of options, menus, compatibility with the myriad of streaming boxes, amplifiers, TVs available. Nothing is standardized, nothing is straightforward, and getting everything working can be a daunting experience.

Apple TV 4K Buffering Solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.