Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speaker vs Earbud Contention During Phone Calls

I am using Jabra bluethooth earbuds to listen to streamed TV on iPhone. If I get an incoming phone call while watching TV, the phone call takes over the bluetooth connection and then TV program then begins blasting through the speaker of the iphone which is very disruptive to those around me. Is there a way to prevent incoming phone calls from doing this so that my earbuds stay on TV program and the call goes to normal ear output on iphone like it should?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 12:26 PM

Thank you for the suggestion to contact the app developer (AT&T). I did and we were able to determine that changing my phone settings from "Banner Mode" to "Full Screen" fixed the issue. Not sure why other apps work fine in Banner Mode but apparently ATT TV and Sling do not.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 7, 2021 8:43 AM in response to HaveAQuestion99

Hi there HaveAQuestion99,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having some difficulties with the Bluetooth connection switching with your Jabra earbuds. Do you know if you experience this same behavior when using any other wireless headphones? When using Apple headphones, it is usually expected behavior for the content you are watching on your iPhone to pause when receiving an incoming call but since these are from a third-party it may be something you want to reach out to Jabra for. It also may be beneficial to be sure that the operating system on your iPhone is completely up to date as well. You can see the steps for that process in the article below, if needed.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch 

Take care.

Jul 12, 2021 7:25 AM in response to HaveAQuestion99

Thanks for getting back to us, HaveAQuestion99.

Since you've been able to isolate that this behavior is app specific to two different applications with two different headphone connection types, it may be best to reach out to the app developers for additional assistance. They should be able to provide you with more information on the internal settings of these specific apps. You can use the support article below for more information on how to contact the developers.

How to contact an app developer

We hope this helps.

Jul 11, 2021 8:06 PM in response to karina184

Actually, upon further testing, it does not appear to be Bluetooth (or Jabra) related. I tried with wired apple earbuds through the Thunderbolt connection on my iPhone and got the same behavior ... while watching AT&T TV, when I get incoming call, the TV sound which was playing on headphones transfers to the phone speaker. This also happens with Sling TV. It does not occur with some other apps like Amazon Music or when watching videos (YouTube or CNN for example) through a browser or when watching videos via CNN app. In those cases, the audio either pauses or mutes while the incoming call is active. It appears to be app related only to two different TV apps (AT&T and Sling). Since I would like to be able to watch TV on earbuds in quiet places (library, train, etc.) this is a real problem. Any ideas???

Speaker vs Earbud Contention During Phone Calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.