Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have hundreds of duplicate groups in the Contacts app for macOS Big Sur

Contacts in Big Sur has been unusable. I have tons of duplicate groups—hundreds of them. Whenever I try to make a change, I get the pinwheel and have to wait, so manually deleting them won't work.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 5:32 PM

I posted this after having this issue and ultimately figuring out the fix myself. To resolve it, I ended up going into the Library files on my Mac to remove the local data.

Before performing the following steps, you should make a backup of your contacts just in case anything goes wrong.

• Close the Contacts app
  • Open iCloud settings in System Preferences (Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID)
  • Uncheck Contacts
  • In Finder, type Command-Shift-G or click on the Go menu and select "Go to Folder"
  • Copy and past the following text into the dialog box
~/Library/Application\ Support/Address\ Book
  • Delete the following files:
    • AddressBook-v22.abcddb
    • AddressBook-v22.abcddb-shm
    • AddressBook-v22.abcddb-wal
  • Open the Sources folder
  • Open each folder inside the Sources folder and delete all copies of the above listed files
  • Open Contacts
  • Open iCloud settings in System Preferences (Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID)
  • Check Contacts
  • Your data should sync from iCloud. If it doesn't, you may need to restore your contacts from your backup.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2021 5:32 PM in response to Tom Litchford

I posted this after having this issue and ultimately figuring out the fix myself. To resolve it, I ended up going into the Library files on my Mac to remove the local data.

Before performing the following steps, you should make a backup of your contacts just in case anything goes wrong.

• Close the Contacts app
  • Uncheck Contacts
  • In Finder, type Command-Shift-G or click on the Go menu and select "Go to Folder"
  • Copy and past the following text into the dialog box
~/Library/Application\ Support/Address\ Book
  • Delete the following files:
    • AddressBook-v22.abcddb
    • AddressBook-v22.abcddb-shm
    • AddressBook-v22.abcddb-wal
  • Open the Sources folder
  • Open each folder inside the Sources folder and delete all copies of the above listed files
  • Open Contacts
  • Check Contacts
  • Your data should sync from iCloud. If it doesn't, you may need to restore your contacts from your backup.

I have hundreds of duplicate groups in the Contacts app for macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.