Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound input/output options disappearing on M1 Macbook Air

I have to restart my M1 Mac every day before I can have a Zoom call because it's the only way to get audio input/output devices to appear in the app and in system preferences.

It seems that after my Mac sleeps for some amount of time, all audio options disappear; A restart restores things to normal, but the next day, it's the same thing again.

I've found threads like this one on this problem with recommendations to reset SMC and PRAM/NVRAM, but that advice only seems to apply to Intel macs.

I can't figure this out — Any advice is welcome.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 4:38 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 8, 2021 10:06 AM in response to kb152

Have your attempted Test while starting in Safe Mode. It will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. Therefore, it will load slowly - Normal. TEST is the issue is presented or Not.

If it does not present in Safe mode one of two things may have been happening - some third party software installed is interfering the the normal operation of the computer OR there is a User Account issue

Jul 9, 2021 4:39 AM in response to kb152

Welcome :-)

The fact the sound option are available in Safe Mode is conclusive enough. All this third party software, extensions and fonts are not loaded in this mode ( Safe ).

To determine if this issue is User Account - need to create a test account >> boot into the test account via normal boot up and Test if the Sound Input / Output issue presents. If not presented in the test account - that would define things more clearly

Sound input/output options disappearing on M1 Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.