Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro left USBC ports not working

I am having an issue. My LEFT USB-C Ports are not working when I plug any devices in (Monitor, USB Drive or iPhone)

However, if I plug in my USB-C Power supply to the left side USBC ports, it works.

I have tried the following:

1. Reset SMC
  2. Reset PRAM/NVRAM
  3. Ran Diagnostic Check (came back with no issues)
  4. Booted in Safe Mode to see if it was a software issue.

I also noticed, if I plug my USBC power adapter in the right side, it goes in AC Power only for about a few seconds, then begins to charge.

What could the issue be? It didn't show anything for logic board when I did diagnostic testing so I am a bit confused?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 10:47 AM

I had a similar issue on my M1 MacBook Air, as I discovered that it was not charging anymore while an external SSD drive was connected to the other port. Exchanging charger and SSD led me to think that maybe one of the 2 usb c ports had "died".

Apple Diagnostics (hold power button at start then Cmd-D when the Options Wheel appears) did not detect anything so I restarted.

And the apparently "defective" usb c port resumed working for both charging and connecting my external SSD.

Did you try a reboot ?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2021 10:47 AM in response to randychmm

I had a similar issue on my M1 MacBook Air, as I discovered that it was not charging anymore while an external SSD drive was connected to the other port. Exchanging charger and SSD led me to think that maybe one of the 2 usb c ports had "died".

Apple Diagnostics (hold power button at start then Cmd-D when the Options Wheel appears) did not detect anything so I restarted.

And the apparently "defective" usb c port resumed working for both charging and connecting my external SSD.

Did you try a reboot ?

Jul 7, 2021 4:20 PM in response to randychmm

It sounds like you have a hardware issue with your laptop. You will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

In the mean time you can try rotating the USB-C cable connector 180 degrees upside down to see if the USB-C port may be half bad. Hopefully you only have a bad I/O Board (aka USB-C ports).

Make sure to only use the official Apple charger and only good quality and respected brands of accessories and peripherals as it is extremely easy to damage the Logic Board with poor quality third party USB-C devices. Maybe one of your external devices is bad or not quite compatible and causing problems with your other connected accessories.

Macbook Pro left USBC ports not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.