Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Macbook Pro not charging reliably via USB-C

I have a MBP, 2021 14".

I don't use the magsafe charger and instead use one of the USB-C ports for charging. Recently my computer started doing a weird thing where only one port recognizes power being supplied. And the weird thing is that it randomly changes so a different port recognizes power. The two other ports either don't recognize it, or it'll draw power for 4-5 seconds before turning off.

Then, as little as a few minutes later, the port that was previously working stops working and I have to find another operable port to plug into.

I've tried this on alternate cables and chargers (which are confirmed to work), and I've tried running the HW diagnostics in Recovery Mode, with no luck.

Does anyone know what's going on?

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 8:34 AM

jchowdown wrote:

I have a MBP, 2021 14".
I don't use the magsafe charger and instead use one of the USB-C ports for charging. Recently my computer started doing a weird thing where only one port recognizes power being supplied. And the weird thing is that it randomly changes so a different port recognizes power. The two other ports either don't recognize it, or it'll draw power for 4-5 seconds before turning off.

Then, as little as a few minutes later, the port that was previously working stops working and I have to find another operable port to plug into.

I've tried this on alternate cables and chargers (which are confirmed to work), and I've tried running the HW diagnostics in Recovery Mode, with no luck.

The user Diagnostic is not known to be definitive...

For hardware issues I would take it in...

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 8:34 AM in response to jchowdown

jchowdown wrote:

I have a MBP, 2021 14".

The user Diagnostic is not known to be definitive...

For hardware issues I would take it in...

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Macbook Pro not charging reliably via USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.