Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 iMac 32GB can't handle Adobe Premiere Pro CS6??

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)

Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7

OSX Mojave (10.14.6) 32 GB (2x16) 667 MHz DDR4

I'm trying to edit video using super old Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (2012) by logic it's supposed to be easier to handle by this beast of a desktop Mac.

On the contrary, the video still lag even though I put 20+ GB for RAM reserve in Adobe PP settings.

In fairness, I did open Chrome browser, Spotify, Adobe PDF and Mail apps. I did close them but Adobe PP still lags, can't imagine the rendering process. Any solutions?

PS: if I upgrade to Catalina, will I still be able to use old Adobe CS softwares?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 8:25 AM

Based on the report it seems the cause is lack in RAM? Like 32GB isn't enough for 2019 iMac??

You have more than enough RAM. Simply restart your computer more often than every nine days. Restarting clears RAM and empties caches:

System Software:

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G8022)

Time since boot: About 9 days

A restart will probably take care of this as well:

Runaway user process - A user process is using a large percentage of your CPU.

If you are concerned about RAM, stop using Chrome:

Top Processes Snapshot by Memory:

Process (count) RAM usage (Source - Location)

Google Chrome Helper (Renderer) (29) 6.43 GB (Google, Inc.)

Google Chrome (2) 1.29 GB (Google, Inc.)

EtreCheckPro 1.00 GB (Etresoft, Inc.)

Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 954 MB (? - /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.app)

Dock (3) 906 MB (Apple)

Chrome and its minions are using nearly 25 percent of your RAM at the time of testing. Not acceptable.

Your Fusion drive is running at similar speeds to other 4K iMacs. That should not be an issue.

Try disconnecting your external drives and testing for an hour or so. Some externals can slow performance,

You have some apps and plug-ins that are older than your computer. Best practice: upgrade if you need them—dump 'em if you don't.

Notifications:

uTorrent.app

6 notifications

Torrent softare will slow your computer.

The system mods Etrecheck reports are always a breeding ground for poor performance.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2021 8:25 AM in response to bett3r

Based on the report it seems the cause is lack in RAM? Like 32GB isn't enough for 2019 iMac??

You have more than enough RAM. Simply restart your computer more often than every nine days. Restarting clears RAM and empties caches:

System Software:

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G8022)

Time since boot: About 9 days

A restart will probably take care of this as well:

Runaway user process - A user process is using a large percentage of your CPU.

If you are concerned about RAM, stop using Chrome:

Top Processes Snapshot by Memory:

Process (count) RAM usage (Source - Location)

Google Chrome Helper (Renderer) (29) 6.43 GB (Google, Inc.)

Google Chrome (2) 1.29 GB (Google, Inc.)

EtreCheckPro 1.00 GB (Etresoft, Inc.)

Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 954 MB (? - /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.app)

Dock (3) 906 MB (Apple)

Chrome and its minions are using nearly 25 percent of your RAM at the time of testing. Not acceptable.

Your Fusion drive is running at similar speeds to other 4K iMacs. That should not be an issue.

Try disconnecting your external drives and testing for an hour or so. Some externals can slow performance,

You have some apps and plug-ins that are older than your computer. Best practice: upgrade if you need them—dump 'em if you don't.

Notifications:

uTorrent.app

6 notifications

Torrent softare will slow your computer.

The system mods Etrecheck reports are always a breeding ground for poor performance.

Jul 7, 2021 3:39 PM in response to bett3r

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Jul 8, 2021 8:34 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks so much, I truly appreciate your assessments!

In other words: I need to restart my iMac at least once a week, change Chrome (kinda difficult, my home is a Google ecosystem) or at least closed it when I'm using Adobe PP and upgrade Adobe (this is tough, since ALL of their software are subscription-based) I just don't have the budget right now.

Again, thanks!

Jul 8, 2021 8:52 AM in response to bett3r

Yes, if Google has you locked in (they are so good at that), quitting Chrome instead of leaving it open in the background is a viable options. Most browsers go truly idle in the background; other reports like your suggest that Chrome does not.

My ref to older apps and plug-ins were not directed at Abode. As long as those work, keep them! I was referring to things like a plugin, EPPEX, that was dated 2017 and their web site seems to be down now. Also look in the EtreCheck report under Launch Agents, Launch Daemons, and User Login Items for outdated or unused software. I see Blackberry (rim) software from 2013. Still using a Blackberry?

2019 iMac 32GB can't handle Adobe Premiere Pro CS6??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.