Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect blue tooth speakers to mac mini

I have a mac mini with a Bose soundlink portable speaker that has been connected for quite a while. I recently purchased an inexpensive headphone and both were working fine with the mac mini. Now neither of them will connect and stay connected. I totally disconnected the Bose speaker and it has paired with the device, but same thing, won't stay paired. I saw some similar issues, but didn't see where they were really resolved. I hope someone has something that will help me get these working again, for now the mac mini is all I have to work on, or watch movies on or anything for a few weeks. Sorry I posted twice, but I cannot find my original post.

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 7:05 PM

6 replies

Jul 8, 2021 1:28 PM in response to islandlady91

Hi islandlady91,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. 

It’s sound like you can’t Connect a Bluetooth device with your Mac and we’re happy to help! If a Bluetooth headset doesn’t work with Mac follow the steps below. 

• Restart your Mac: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac
  • "Make sure the headset is turned on and in range.
  • Make sure the headset is connected with your Mac. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth. Check to see if your headset is in the list of devices.

If your headset isn’t in the list, try connecting with it again. See the documentation that came with your headset for information about connecting your headset with your Mac.

• Make sure your headset is charged or has fresh batteries."

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Jul 9, 2021 5:42 AM in response to islandlady91

islandlady91,

To help us isolate and resolve this issue further, let's try the next steps below and check to see if the problem is still there after each one: 

1. Turn Bluetooth off/on (use a wired mouse): Turn Bluetooth on or off on Mac
  2. Disconnect external storage devices: Use external storage devices with Mac
  3. Reset SMC: How to reset the SMC of your Mac
  4. Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac
  5. Check for wireless interference: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

Let us know if this helps.

Jul 13, 2021 10:34 AM in response to islandlady91

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I have resolved the issue by going to youtube and listening to other users that had similar problems, and there seems to be quite a bit out there, even and especially the newer M1 Mac mini having many bluetooth issues. So first guy suggested clicking the the BT icon on the menu bar and remove in my case Bose speaker, then option shift and do factory reset all connected apple devices. I then checked Bose and there was an update for the speaker so I did that, but I watched another video since I had not been able to connect yet, and that guy said to go to finder, then your library, look for com.apple.bluetooth plist and delete. I have now paired both my Bose speaker and my cheap headset. But there appear to be issues with bluetooth keyboards and mouse not staying connected, until they followed these fellows advice. Even then some were not resolved, so it appears Apple needs to take care of the bluetooth issues people are having. How do you send comments so that Apple actually receives them?

Jul 8, 2021 2:29 PM in response to sterling r

Thank you for your response. I have tried that and it didn't work. It isn't the Bose speaker or headset as they will pair with my iPhone. They were all working fine until apx. a week ago and both quit pairing at the same time, and the only thing different is that I updated to Big Sur. Maybe that is the issue? I have seen a few people having the same issue, some were older, one was within the past couple of months. I am so disappointed as I rarely used this until my iPad and my macbook pro died, so this is all I have other than my phone and I can't work off that. It would be great if someone else had resolved this and could help. I considered turning bluetooth off and back on to try, but I don't want to jinx my keyboard working.

Jul 9, 2021 4:15 PM in response to islandlady91

I have tried both resets with my bluetooth keyboard and the issue remains. I will try to find a wired keyboard to borrow, and try this again. I still wonder if it has something to do with the update, as it was working fine. I went into system information, hardware, bluetooth and the Bose speakers are listed and as paired and configured but no to connected. Of course the keyboard is shown as paired, configured and connected, so? Will it make that much difference to use a wired keyboard?

Can't connect blue tooth speakers to mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.