Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

addressbook contacts just doubled all entries, and very slow

Hi

On my Laptop, the contacts in the address-books just doubled: Every contact, and every group, is in the database 2 times.

I began to manually merge the doubles, but this is cumbersome: there's 20 years (read: many) contacts, and the address book got very unresponsive, after every action (merging/deleting contacts) I see the spinning pizza for 2,3 seconds, or nothing happens at all for 5+ seconds.

It gets a little bit better if I take the macBook offline.

The last relevant thing I made was reinstalling a big-sur system on a mac mini. I did it the classic way, using the migration assistant, and did not poke around. Just installed it, re-registered apple-id (and very few external things like dropbox), and had it running a very limited time. Didn't touch address book directly.

So I suspect this install could have something to do with sudden double entries?

Could this have a different cause?

Any productive method to solve it?

Any method to diagnose it?

Thank you.

david

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 11:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 2:38 AM

If you login to icloud.com in the browser, do you see your contacts correctly there without duplication?

You may try temporarily deactivating the account in Contacts->Preferences by unchecking the box below:

What happens then? Do all the groups and contacts disappear? Or only one copy of each?

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 8, 2021 11:29 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I'm sorry Luis, I lost patience (even before asking here), that is, I had already begun merging/deleting duplicates.

Then I found out I could just delete all entries of a group's contacts, which killed about 3/4 of all dupes in a few clicks, and after selecting three or four times "show duplicates" (which always returned another set of dupes), they were suddenly just gone but a dozen or so. So I finished off the job by hand.

I am sure though that there were many more ghost-duplicates than what got catched by the built-in "tool", so it probably was a icloud-hickup of sorts...

It would have been interesting to check online what would have been there.

addressbook contacts just doubled all entries, and very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.