Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts App is buggy - this is a long-term issue

When I try to add a new contact, either manually or by clicking on "add to contacts" from another program, contacts lets me type in the name and maybe company, but then "disappears" what I've just typed... UNLESS I can quickly hit "done" and then open the card again and edit it. I have seen other responses suggesting to export and reimport all contacts, but this has been an issue for many years, so if anyone has more detailed technical understanding of the problem, and potential resolutions, please share.

Sometimes, though, even after hitting "DONE" after typing in the name, the new contact does not show up in my contacts list. This has been happenings since I got a new Macbook, running Monterey.

Two questions: 1. How do I fix this? 2. What are alternatives to using Apple's built-in contacts, and can I delete this app if it is not working for me?

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 10:05 AM

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2023 10:05 AM in response to RTen1

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Contacts App is buggy - this is a long-term issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.