Contacts won't let me add a new contact

in contacts every time or way I try to add a new contact the compute jumps to and existing one.

I tried 2 ways from within Contacts. First: with "All contacts" highlighted, clicked on the "+" at bottom right, selected "new contact", blank card came up, entered last name, then either tabbed to "first name" or just clicked on "first name", start to enter a name, BUT then the window popped to an existing contact, and I am out of the protocol for adding a contact. Second I tried by starting from the menu bar-file-newcard but Contacts again popped me out of the process for adding a contact.

Macbook Pro M1, Ventura, recent update.

Help would be really appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 2:10 AM

The Contacts application is using how many accounts that it will sync with ?

Have seen similar issues when Contacts is using more than one account and usually the issue is associated with Google Contacts

If Google is part of your configuration - suggest as a Test Only to Un-Associate Google in Contacts

Try to create a new Contact and see if it works without issues

If yes, re-enable Google

This would pinpoint where the culprit is

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2023 2:10 AM in response to peregrineguy

The Contacts application is using how many accounts that it will sync with ?

Have seen similar issues when Contacts is using more than one account and usually the issue is associated with Google Contacts

If Google is part of your configuration - suggest as a Test Only to Un-Associate Google in Contacts

Try to create a new Contact and see if it works without issues

If yes, re-enable Google

This would pinpoint where the culprit is

Contacts won't let me add a new contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.