Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot password to encrypt local backup how to retrieve it from Mac KeyChains access

I just got new iPhone 12 and I am trying to retrieve my password to restore it to my new phone I just can't remember my password. please advise on how to retrieve it from keychain access?

iPhone 6, iOS 10

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 7:18 PM

If you encrypted your backup on your Mac, it's encrypted and can't be opened until you remember the password. It is not in KeyChain. Something that important should have been noted somewhere for future recall.

But all is not lost. You can use Quick Start to transfer over to your new phone. You can create an iCloud backup and set up your new phone from that iCloud Backup.

See this link for ways to move data from a previous phone to a new phone --> Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2021 7:18 PM in response to Han0721

If you encrypted your backup on your Mac, it's encrypted and can't be opened until you remember the password. It is not in KeyChain. Something that important should have been noted somewhere for future recall.

But all is not lost. You can use Quick Start to transfer over to your new phone. You can create an iCloud backup and set up your new phone from that iCloud Backup.

See this link for ways to move data from a previous phone to a new phone --> Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Forgot password to encrypt local backup how to retrieve it from Mac KeyChains access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.