You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac says I need to update software to connect my iPhone to my MacBook Pro. If I update my Mac software, my Office for Mac software will no longer work. Is there a work around for this?

My Mac says I need to update software to connect my iPhone to my MacBook Pro. If I update my Mac software, my Office for Mac software will no longer work. Is there a work around for this?

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 7:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 7:32 AM

That advisory has been around several years and is still poorly written and widely misunderstood. I've applied it to several Macs and it DOES NOT CHANGE your macOS version.

The small, fast download only patches iTunes so it will continue to work with newer versions of iOS and iPadOS.

The support article regarding that advisory is not much better:

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 9, 2021 7:32 AM in response to sweetride22

That advisory has been around several years and is still poorly written and widely misunderstood. I've applied it to several Macs and it DOES NOT CHANGE your macOS version.

The small, fast download only patches iTunes so it will continue to work with newer versions of iOS and iPadOS.

The support article regarding that advisory is not much better:

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.