Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Mac and iPhone repeatedly asks to set cookie preferences

Hi!

I have no idea when it started, but no matter which websites I visit using Safari on my Mac and iPhone, it asks me what I want to do about cookies every time. Most of the sites are ones I visit every day, multiple times per day.

I normally refuse all, but essential cookies and I'm wondering if there's ones I need to accept so Safari stops asking me this over and over?

Thanks for reading.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 9:01 AM

Hi Eric. No, definitely not using a private window.

I came across this unresolved post from 2019. Apparently hundreds of others are having/had the same problem. Some think it may be to do with EU legislation on cookies, but that still doesn't explain why the sites are asking to set cookie prefs over and over.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250223195

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2021 9:01 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric. No, definitely not using a private window.

I came across this unresolved post from 2019. Apparently hundreds of others are having/had the same problem. Some think it may be to do with EU legislation on cookies, but that still doesn't explain why the sites are asking to set cookie prefs over and over.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250223195

Jul 10, 2021 4:31 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your reply Eric. Maybe the problem is with the individual websites?

Here's one of the many examples. It's the Transport for London website, which I visit every day. Every time I visit, the cookie prefs pop up. I click 'manage cookies', then choose essential cookies only and save my preferences. When I visit that site the next day, it asks me to do the exact same thing again. As mentioned, it's not just that website, it's all of them!

Jul 11, 2021 6:57 AM in response to amd1

You are welcome. That is a web site setting and doesn't affect other websites. You have to set the preferences for each web site. Then they will supply the cookie that matches your preferences. On some web sites, they don't offer you a choice. Until you accept their cookie, they will keep asking you when you visit the web site.

Jul 11, 2021 8:40 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks again for your reply Eric. With the Transport for London website and others, I've tried accepting all cookies to see if it would make a difference and it didn't. The next day when I visited the sites again, they asked me again, which is why I though the issue might be with Safari.

I'm not sure when this started, but it wasn't always like this.

Safari Mac and iPhone repeatedly asks to set cookie preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.