Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Icons Missing

I have an iPhone XS and have version 14.6. I was trying to move an app icon into a folder on another screen and wound up somehow losing both that icon as well as the music icon in dock! I have looked up how to get them back, but I do not want to reset the home screen. I have a lot of apps and have many folders for them, and it would take forever to remake all the folders and put them all back properly. I know they are still there because I can find them with a search, but the search doesn't tell me where they are. I have looked in every folder, and I do not see either one of them. I have no idea what happened.

Is there a way to get the icons back without resetting the entire home screen.

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 12:05 PM

I think you are swiping the wrong way.

If you swipe to the farthest right screen, you should be putting your finger on the right side of your screen and swiping toward the left side of your screen. You do this until you can go no further and you will be at the App Library. (assuming you are using iOS 14 like you indicate).

When you reach that screen, you will see a bunch of predefined categories with app icons, and up top a search field that says App Library.

When you swipe down, you have to do it from the middle of the screen.. if you pull down from the very top of the screen, that is correct, you will see your notifications.

My guess is that you are/were swiping the opposite direction, which would put you at the far left screen (Today View), which is an assortment of widgets.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Hazel Greenberg

I think you are swiping the wrong way.

If you swipe to the farthest right screen, you should be putting your finger on the right side of your screen and swiping toward the left side of your screen. You do this until you can go no further and you will be at the App Library. (assuming you are using iOS 14 like you indicate).

When you reach that screen, you will see a bunch of predefined categories with app icons, and up top a search field that says App Library.

When you swipe down, you have to do it from the middle of the screen.. if you pull down from the very top of the screen, that is correct, you will see your notifications.

My guess is that you are/were swiping the opposite direction, which would put you at the far left screen (Today View), which is an assortment of widgets.

Jul 10, 2021 9:37 AM in response to Hazel Greenberg

If pulling down does not produce a list then you are not likely doing it from the App Library, you are probably just swiping down and searching from one of your normal Home Screens, which is not the same.

As I indicated, from your Home Screen, swipe left continuously until you get to the very end where the App Library is..

If you’re doing exactly what I’m telling you and you don’t get a list, then maybe try power cycling your iPhone

Jul 10, 2021 11:12 AM in response to Chris0107

I know it seems strange because you know how it's supposed to work and look, but it simply does not for me. I did restart the phone, but the same thing is happening. Let me be specific, so perhaps you can tell what might be wrong. I swipe all the way to the right, but all I see on that screen is widgets, not apps. If I swipe down from that same screen, I see only notifications. Yes, I know, but I am still on the farthest screen to the left of the first page of the home screen. It's the screen with the search box at the top. If I put "app library" into the search box, all I get is a bunch of websites to go to to find info about the app library, a link to settings--home screen, and last a "Search in Apps" section, which has search messages, search app store, and search maps in it. There is not an actual list of apps on my phone. From everything I read, I know I am supposed to be seeing that list, but that is the problem. If I pursue one of the links, I get a section titled Apps, but only the Music icons appears. It's not in a list. And I can do nothing with that icon. It has the word Stores at the right end of that section. There is also a Messages sections that comes up with a single message from last year. I have no idea what that means. And then there is a section titled Dictionary, which defines what the App Library is. That is the most I can get. Does any of this ring a bell?

iPhone Icons Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.