Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Mac Question

Hi Everybody!

Currently I own an Intel based Mac and will at some point in the future be upgrading to an M1 Mac

Usually when I want to do a clean install on my Mac I erase the drive either using the eraseDisk command in Terminal or sometimes I just erase the disk at the top level in Disk Utility and then I reinstall Mac using a USB installer method.

My question is if I was to erase an M1 Mac using the methods I have described above and then tired to boot into recovery mode from a USB installer would that work or would I have to revive the M1 Mac using Apple Configurator and DFU mode.

I am also aware of the method that apple recommends to do an erase and restore of an M1 Mac but I just wanted to know what would happen if I erased the drive via terminal or via Disk utility at the top level of the disk.

I hope this makes sense, if you would like me to elaborate more on anything then please do not hesitate to contact me and I look forward to your reply 

Stay safe and well

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 7:20 AM

The following apply to the M1 Macs:

Startup security in macOS - Apple Support

Boot process for a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

Boot modes for a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

The first two provide an explanation as to why there are the modes in the third.

And one other about the security policy on M1 Macs:

Startup Disk security policy control for a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

M1 Mac Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.