You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to free up 6GB of emails from iPAD MD511B/A iOS 10.33

I have just 286MB capacity available on an iPAD capacity 28.74GB

The largest use of storage is emails stored locally via POP.

I want to delete all emails then start afresh by setting up the email account again.

In iPad email, delete to Wastebasket followed by Delete of Trash does not free up storage.

Options such as Passwords and Accounts - Delete Account or Mail Contacts Calendars are not available on this early iPAD.

I have seen advice on the Internet to select Settings/General/Profile/Delete Profile, then Delete email Account.

I am worried that by Deleting my Profile, all my other applications may eill disappear or become unusable.

Has anyone found a safe solution to this problem?

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 6:30 AM

3 replies

Jul 12, 2021 7:39 AM in response to Thumper_21

Deleting the email account from the iPad - followed by a restart - should release some local storage.

Settings > Passwords & Accounts > [email account] > Delete Account

Close the Settings App - then restart the iPad. Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

Jul 12, 2021 7:17 AM in response to Thumper_21

You have a very old iPad4. Notwithstanding the fact that your available local storage is totally full - your iPad4 cannot be updated beyond iOS 10.3.3/4. Freeing sufficient space on your iPad will very likely require deletion of installed Apps - or to remove cached content, may require restoring the iPad. All of this has implications for ongoing usability.

Deleting email accounts may help - but only to a very limited degree.

Update support for iPad4 ended September 2017. The final iOS releases for this model were iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only models) and iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular). iPad4 cannot be updated to any later major version of iOS as it lacks the minimum hardware requirements needed to run more recent versions. The 32-bit platform upon which the iPad4 is based is obsolete.

Many App Developers have dropped support for 32-bot devices and iOS versions preceding iOS11/12/13. Withdrawal of Apps supporting older models of iPad is making the utility and usefulness of older iPad models significantly more limited. Once compatible versions Apps are withdrawn, you’ll not be able (re)download or (re)install them.

If Apps that you need to use now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model. Of current models, even the entry-level iPad8 supports current iPadOS 14 - and has hardware specifications and capabilities that vastly outperform your old iPad4.

I hope this information is helpful - if only in clearly stating the limitations of your iPad4 and your available options.

How to free up 6GB of emails from iPAD MD511B/A iOS 10.33

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.