Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail "Unable to verify account" Hotmail [SOLVED]

So I have had this problem numerous times, and just had it again. Searched the internet for an answer and all the answers that have been provided on multiple sites didn't work. But this solution DID work for me.

So, if you are using Mac Mail, and you have a hotmail account (and don't have 2-factor authentication turned on), you may occasionally get disconnected from your hotmail account and it won't reconnect or download messages, and will hit you with the error message "unable to verify account or password". And, seemingly, there's no easy way to fix it. The options given on the web all seem to not work. Except for this.

Go into preferences, email accounts, and find your hotmail account.

Double click the email account and you get a dialogue with your name, email address, and password. Weirdly, your password might have gone blank. Write your password back in, hit ok, and then close all the preferences, and close mac mail.

Open mac mail, and close it again. It may take a minute or two for keychain/mac mail to right itself. If you want to be really safe you can probably reset your machine and it will be fine.

This worked for me. It seems to happen every six months or so and I have to re-remember how to do this.

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 9:46 AM

You may want to make a user tip out of this. I can inform a moderator to be on the lookout if you want this.

Similar questions

3 replies

Mac Mail "Unable to verify account" Hotmail [SOLVED]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.