Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail suddenly fails to open, it starts then goes to beachball

email fails to open (application not responding).

I click on the mail icon, it seems to start for moment, then immediately stops responding.

I can find some of my mail in the icloud but only a small portion.

imac 21.5, late 2013 build, el kapitan, 10.11.6

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 4:13 PM

You may have to boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down) and reinstall the system. This will keep the user data untouched but it's always best to be on the safe side and have a new, full and complete back-up before any such activity.

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 12, 2021 2:28 PM in response to SigmundFraud

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to nearly twice as long as a normal boot as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Jul 13, 2021 2:06 PM in response to Old Toad

1) Mail>File>Import mailboxes. > opens Import box.

2) We went into my library> mail>Vx> Mailboxes.

3) "Hit Command" & "A" - that highlighted all the mailboxes

4) Clicked "Apple Mail" in the Import box (the other choice is "files in mbox format)

5) Hit "continue"

This took a while as there were a lot of maailboxes but, ultimately, it all got rebuilt, going back to 2009.

Mail suddenly fails to open, it starts then goes to beachball

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.