Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disappearing Apple mail

My Mac mail keeps disappearing. A few days ago I got a message that the home folder was full and mail could not save mail. The only option was quit. I researched and found that I had to reindex my mail. I did and when it came back up it took a while but it re deposited many many emails. I went in and cleared out all the mailboxes, deleted and emptied trash. I worked fine for a few hours. It disappeared again yesterday. It shows mail on the menu bar and it shows open in the dock but nothing appears on the screen. I opened my mac in safe mode this morning. The mail was all there. When I reopened the regular way, the mail was all there and I was able to use it. A few hours later I tried to share a website and it did not work. It was gone again. It is still not there.

Ever since the last two apple updates, I have had issues with my Lightroom too. (that is a different story.

Please help with my mail. I have Monterey 12.5

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 3:36 PM

7 replies

Aug 16, 2022 4:00 PM in response to Judy Barnett

Judy Barnett wrote:

My Mac mail keeps disappearing. A few days ago I got a message that the home folder was full and mail could not save mail.

The only option was quit. I researched and found that I had to reindex my mail. I did and when it came back up it took a while but it re deposited many many emails.

I went in and cleared out all the mailboxes, deleted and emptied trash.

I worked fine for a few hours. It disappeared again yesterday. It shows mail on the menu bar and it shows open in the dock but nothing appears on the screen. I opened my mac in safe mode this morning. The mail was all there. When I reopened the regular way, the mail was all there and I was able to use it. A few hours later I tried to share a website and it did not work. It was gone again. It is still not there.

Please help with my mail. I have Monterey 12.5

If you Control click on the Favorites section All Inbox or one particular account in question for ex.

Get Account information will give you the server stats for your account...If you are maxed out or over the quota

make room...general house clean...delete old emails or move them off line.

example only:

You can create Mailbox "On your Mac" section and bulk move emails if you wan to preserver them

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Aug 16, 2022 6:25 PM in response to Judy Barnett

Judy Barnett wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I cannot get to the favorites section. There is nothing there. Just the menu bar. I am able to access my webmail but not thru AppleMail. Tried to take a screen shot but wouldn't work.

Wonder if it has something to do with my provider?

?

Do you have the side bar in Mail...(?)

whether you are in Column lay out or not, you should have a sidebar...including your Favorites section at the top...(?)

You can grab the divider between columns and adjust their size.

Change Viewing preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Option Command S will hide/show the sidebar.

Aug 17, 2022 2:16 AM in response to Judy Barnett

Q - " A few days ago I got a message that the home folder was full and mail could not save mail. The only option was quit. "

A -  it is suggested to keep at least 15%  to 20% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates to Monterey to download, expand and install.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Notation - If the user is using a cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner - suggest tweaking the Safety Net Feature in this software. It may be making addition Snap Shots that are not being Cloned to the Eternal Drive. If this should be the case, these Snap Shot could be using additional space on the drive 

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Disappearing Apple mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.