Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air 2014 graphics suddenly laggy, display missing colors

after cleaning my screen and keyboard (with windex, i know i'm not supposed to do that, but i've done it 100's of times without issue), my screen/graphics are suddenly not working right. i don't think any liquid/cleaner got into my keys as i use only a little bit, but i do mash the entire keyboard so i hit every key or a combination of keys. so i thought i activated something by accident (as my cat does on occasion sitting on the keyboard. i should have done it with my computer off, but i have done it a 100 times without issue.

i have the same issue as here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7492488

i started a new question because it would let me reply to that old thread.

anyway, the graphics are lagging (like new windows and text fade in, slowly) and cursor movement are traced. also, i'm missing colors now, which results in whitewash appearance, although i'm in dark mode. but you can see the american flag at the top is not the right color.

here's a link to a screen recording of what i'm describing: https://youtu.be/TCVMn3gTPj0

anyway, the computer is working fine except this issue. i reset SMC, pram/nvram, disconneted the battery, toggled auto brightness, etc to no avail. it seems like a graphics card issue. whether or not it's a coincidence of having cleaned my computer remains a mystery. apple hardware test found no issues.

any ideas?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 10:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 2:34 AM

thank you. i live in argentina currently where Apple is not officially here yet, but there are apple resellers and authorized technicians i think. and we're in lockdown again. i was hoping to diagnose whether it's a hardware or software issue first. when i get back to the states, i plan on buying a new one anyway, this thing had gone past the average useful life. but apple products are 50% higher in price (or more) here. ( there was an article a few years ago that said it was cheaper to buy a ticket to miami and purchase a mac than buy one here. 😂)

the problem seems to be more exaggerated, it's bizarre, really. must be a graphics chip/card issue. i'll post a screen recording tomorrow. but whatever movements i make are slow to appear, the fade in slowly.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2021 2:34 AM in response to PRP_53

thank you. i live in argentina currently where Apple is not officially here yet, but there are apple resellers and authorized technicians i think. and we're in lockdown again. i was hoping to diagnose whether it's a hardware or software issue first. when i get back to the states, i plan on buying a new one anyway, this thing had gone past the average useful life. but apple products are 50% higher in price (or more) here. ( there was an article a few years ago that said it was cheaper to buy a ticket to miami and purchase a mac than buy one here. 😂)

the problem seems to be more exaggerated, it's bizarre, really. must be a graphics chip/card issue. i'll post a screen recording tomorrow. but whatever movements i make are slow to appear, the fade in slowly.

macbook air 2014 graphics suddenly laggy, display missing colors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.