Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix Macbook Pro (Mid 2014, 15-inch) that keeps flickering, freezing, and crashing?

This just started happening the other day. If I leave my MBP alone and don't touch it for a while, it will start up just fine and last for around 20-30 minutes. After that, the screen will start flickering and become distorted, freeze completely (no mouse movement, everything is unresponsive), and then shut down completely. No restart. Everytime I restart it, the time it takes until the issue happens again becomes less and less, making me unable to finish booting the computer and it will start to freeze as soon as I hit the power button. Once I leave it alone for a few hours, it will start the process over.

Things I have tried:

• Removing back plate and cleaning out dust
  • Resetting SMC (multiple times)
  • Resetting PRAM and NVRAM (multiple times)
  • Fresh OS Install (Running Catalina)
  • Boot in Safe Mode (issue persists)
  • Apple Hardware Test (when it doesn't freeze up on me) shows nothing wrong with the hardware.
  • Ran CC cleaner
  • Ran MalwareBytes (no detected malware)
  • Ran Console but nothing seems to pop out at me, and I can't read anything once the issue starts happening as the computer freezes.

I have read other threads where this happens to people, but it won't happen to them if they are using an external monitor. The issue persists for me with an external monitor.

Some people mentioned CPU or GPU temps going off the charts, especially if they are running an internet browser even if they aren't actively using it. I have monitored temps while idling the computer after startup when no apps are running, however my temps all stay within reasonable temps under 50C and the issue still happens when nothing is running. Fan speeds all remain normal, although after multiple reboots, the bottom of the laptop does seem to run a little hot but at this point I cannot even get the computer to fully boot.

I am worried it is an issue with the logic board or graphics card as this computer is obviously out of warranty but still only 6 years old. I have an appointment scheduled with the Genius bar in a few days but I am impatient as I use the computer daily for school.

I have seen other people that have had issues that were fixed by replacing the dried out thermal paste on the CPU/GPU and was wondering if this poor conductivity could be what is causing my issue? I am perfectly willing and able to get some thermal paste and reapply it but would like to know if this is a likely cause before I go ahead and make the purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 10:31 PM

I have figured out the issue. It is in fact the logic board, but specifically the mosfets on model A1398. The following video shows why this happens and how to fix it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QC_KcnPQmE

All I have to do now is find someone to repair these mosfets for less than the cost of a logic board, or I will need to learn how to do it myself. I just can't see throwing away this computer. paying $2k for a computer to last only 2 years is ridiculous.

The fact that the guy in the video mentions it being a very common issue means that Apple should have a replacement program for this. The model is bound to break no matter what. I'm going back to windows.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2020 10:31 PM in response to RasAlGhul420

I have figured out the issue. It is in fact the logic board, but specifically the mosfets on model A1398. The following video shows why this happens and how to fix it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QC_KcnPQmE

All I have to do now is find someone to repair these mosfets for less than the cost of a logic board, or I will need to learn how to do it myself. I just can't see throwing away this computer. paying $2k for a computer to last only 2 years is ridiculous.

The fact that the guy in the video mentions it being a very common issue means that Apple should have a replacement program for this. The model is bound to break no matter what. I'm going back to windows.

Nov 19, 2020 8:07 AM in response to RasAlGhul420

RasAlGhul420 wrote:

• This just started happening the other day. If I leave my MBP alone and don't touch it for a while, it will start up just fine and last for around 20-30 minutes. After that, the screen will start flickering and become distorted, freeze completely (no mouse movement, everything is unresponsive), and then shut down completely

. No restart. Everytime I restart it, the time it takes until the issue happens again becomes less and less, making me unable to finish booting the computer and it will start to freeze as soon as I hit the power button. Once I leave it alone for a few hours, it will start the process over.

Things I have tried:
Removing back plate and cleaning out dust
• Resetting SMC (multiple times)
• Resetting PRAM and NVRAM (multiple times)
• Fresh OS Install (Running Catalina)
• Boot in Safe Mode (issue persists)
• Apple Hardware Test (when it doesn't freeze up on me) shows nothing wrong with the hardware.
• Ran CC cleaner
• Ran MalwareBytes (no detected malware)
• Ran Console but nothing seems to pop out at me, and I can't read anything once the issue starts happening as the computer freezes.

I have read other threads where this happens to people, but it won't happen to them if they are using an external monitor. The issue persists for me with an external monitor.

the laptop does seem to run a little hot but at this point I cannot even get the computer to fully boot.

I am worried it is an issue with the logic board or graphics card as this computer is obviously out of warranty but still only 6 years old. I have an appointment scheduled with the Genius bar in a few days but I am impatient as I use the computer daily for school.

I think you are doing the correct thing—take it in and let then run their diagnostic test called AST (Apple Service Toolkit) on the back bench.

Intermittent issues are the most difficult to arm chair quaterback from a distance.

the 2014 did have some issue with trackpad cable which can effect the display as well (?)

post back with your final resolve after your appointment.

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209095

Nov 27, 2020 4:55 PM in response to RasAlGhul420

So I was able to take it to the Apple store, and they could not find any issues with the hardware test. They said they believed it to be the battery (which said needs serviced), but health is 77% with only around 500 cycles. They said the battery is likely spiking causing a power failure. I think its the RAM.

I was able to find a youtube video that shows exactly what my issue is. This youtube video shows an issue with the RAM slot on a 2012 MBP. The user presses on the RAM with the bottom off while the computer is running and this produces the results that happen to my computer. I tried doing this, but my model has the RAM soldered to the logic board, and still lightly pressing on any of them does not reproduce my issue. I have tried running memtest (from terminal in recovery mode, since my single-user mode does not find memtest), and also Remember to test the ram, and can't seem to get past any passes without the computer freezing up and shutting down.

I was able to get an etrecheck report and have attached it:

I can't seem to find any issues. I installed CleanMyMact just recently (post-issues) to try to disable any additional startup programs.

I'm thinking that I might just have faulty RAM and with the cost of a logic board replacement, I essentially have a brand new Apple Paperweight?

Thanks for any help.

Nov 19, 2020 10:36 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for your advice. I believe my plan as of now is to first check the memory with a USB drive running MemTest86. If that proves unhelpful, I will just wait until the appointment and see what they say. If it will be too much to repair then I guess I will have to consider replacing it, but likely I will try replacing the thermal paste first before I consider it pointless, and I can try to wipe it and sell it for parts.

How to fix Macbook Pro (Mid 2014, 15-inch) that keeps flickering, freezing, and crashing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.