Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur not seeing external (Seagate Backup Plus Portable 5tb (2r2apg-500 USB-to-USB-3) drive on Mac mini

Mac mini (Late 2014, 2.6 GHZ Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM) not seeing drive above but MacBook Air (Mid 2012, 1.7 GHz Dual-Core intel i5, 4GB RAM) does mount external drive & works just fine. (USB3 to USB2 hub to USB3 HD)

MISTAKE: I DID NOT DO THIS BUT UPGRADED DIRECTLY FROM APP STORE. ===> Both computers upgraded same week with same Installmac OS BigSur.app file.

Have WD 2TB and Toshiba 1TB successfully working on Mac mini (USB3 to USB2 hub to USB2 HD).

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 12:46 PM

(USB3 to USB2 hub to USB3 HD)

Please clarify the above. The intrusion of a USB2 hub is a problem. Not only it is slow, but USB2 does not provide the same amount of power, so if the drive is not separately powered it may fail to power up.

Tell us exactly:

a) how the drive is connected to the Mini (including the cables, hubs and adapters, if any).

b) how the drive is formatted.

c) if the drive has a separate power supply.

Also: did you try connecting the drive directly to the Mini?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2021 12:46 PM in response to allenfrommethuen

(USB3 to USB2 hub to USB3 HD)

Please clarify the above. The intrusion of a USB2 hub is a problem. Not only it is slow, but USB2 does not provide the same amount of power, so if the drive is not separately powered it may fail to power up.

Tell us exactly:

a) how the drive is connected to the Mini (including the cables, hubs and adapters, if any).

b) how the drive is formatted.

c) if the drive has a separate power supply.

Also: did you try connecting the drive directly to the Mini?

Big Sur not seeing external (Seagate Backup Plus Portable 5tb (2r2apg-500 USB-to-USB-3) drive on Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.