Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud on the road ...

Hello,

I want to sync all my personal desktop documents to iCloud.

Once on the road, will I be able to modify any of those documents and have them synced back to the desktop original folder ?

If not, what is the best iCloud way of doing that ?

iPhone XS

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 1:09 PM

I would not have advised turning on the Desktop and Documents option without fully researching and understanding it.

Once it is turned on, your Desktop and Documents folders are moved. See the "Find your Desktop and Documents files on all of your devices" section of Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you decide to turn that option off, see the information below from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Note that the first 2 paragraphs below are for just turning off Desktop and Documents while the 3rd paragraph is for turning off iCloud Drive completely -- what happens to your files differs depending on which you choose to do.

Turn off Desktop and Documents

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  3. Deselect Desktop & Documents Folders.
  4. Click Done.

What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents

When you turn off Desktop & Documents Folders, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new Desktop and Documents folder is created on your Mac in the home folder. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them.

What happens when you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud

If you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud, a new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. You also have the option to keep a local copy of your files that are in iCloud Drive. If you keep a local copy of your files in iCloud Drive, they're copied to a folder called iCloud Drive (Archive) in your home folder. You can move any files that were in your iCloud Desktop and Documents to your new local Desktop and Documents.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2021 1:09 PM in response to rlesperance

I would not have advised turning on the Desktop and Documents option without fully researching and understanding it.

Once it is turned on, your Desktop and Documents folders are moved. See the "Find your Desktop and Documents files on all of your devices" section of Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you decide to turn that option off, see the information below from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Note that the first 2 paragraphs below are for just turning off Desktop and Documents while the 3rd paragraph is for turning off iCloud Drive completely -- what happens to your files differs depending on which you choose to do.

Turn off Desktop and Documents

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  3. Deselect Desktop & Documents Folders.
  4. Click Done.

What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents

When you turn off Desktop & Documents Folders, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new Desktop and Documents folder is created on your Mac in the home folder. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them.

What happens when you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud

If you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud, a new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. You also have the option to keep a local copy of your files that are in iCloud Drive. If you keep a local copy of your files in iCloud Drive, they're copied to a folder called iCloud Drive (Archive) in your home folder. You can move any files that were in your iCloud Desktop and Documents to your new local Desktop and Documents.

Jul 14, 2021 11:42 AM in response to rlesperance

Any file in your documents folder or on your desktop will sync if you select that setting. Otherwise, only the information appearing in "iCloud Drive" in the finder will sync to iCloud. This is helpful if you want to sync some information but keep your documents only accessible on your Mac. In my experience, it's much more handy to sync everything for any of a number of reasons; access across devices, in case of loss or theft of a device, and just to have things handy pretty much anywhere.

Jul 14, 2021 12:00 PM in response to muguy

I see ... I just tried it out for half a second: I checked and, immediately, unchecked the «Documents and Desktop» option (System preferences>Apple identity>iCloud Drive>Options) and, without even noticing, iCloud Drive began to sync. Even the unckecking didn't stop the sync.

Once completed, all my Desktop files and folders were moved to a new folder at the root level of my user folder and named «Desktop/iMacIntel».

What and why is that for ... and how do I undo that ?

Funny behavior.

Jul 14, 2021 12:08 PM in response to rlesperance

Your files and folders should not move from your desktop or documents folder. But, you should see a new "iCloud Drive" in the sidebar in finder. You may need to go to preferences in finder to tag the drive. Inside the drive there are shortcuts to documents and desktop if you have that enabled. I'm not seeing anything similar in my root directory, just the usual music, movies, downloads, etc.

Jul 14, 2021 12:44 PM in response to muguy

Before, I could see all my files and folders «physically» on my desktop and in the Desktop folder as well.

Now, there is no physical Desktop display of those files. I can see them only in the new «Desktop/iMacIntel» folder that was created by the System (not by me) when I initiated/interupted the iCloud Drive sync.

More, if I try to move any file from the Finder to the new physical Desktop, I get a stop icon preventing any of these moves to occur.

How can I get my physical Desktop back ?

iCloud on the road ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.