Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010) Video card issue?

• How do you add system devices back in (to diagnose) after safe boot?
  • I have had to boot in Safe Mode in order to stop severe video malfunctions.
  • I have no sound device detected.
  • In regular mode I get craziness - see attachment - movie I made with iPhone won't play for me.
  • Some applications install but seem to interact with this video card (FontBase - https://fontba.se)

I am running:

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)

High Sierra - 10.13.6 (17G14042)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i5

ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

• Can the video card be replaced? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

-Lisa

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 10:14 AM

Usually video card issues follow one into Safe Mode, but I'm always surprised to discover yet another failure mode.

If you have a spare external drive I'd suggest installing a clean copy of MacOS onto an external drive. If the new install also has issues then assume the video card is going bad, but if the new install works normally then the problem is either driver corruption or an application/kext you had installed.

The video card can be replaced, but it is a very difficult and complicated job. Complete disassembly. Linux command line knowledge if flashing a PC laptop card. Used replacement parts of dubious quality frequently showing up dead on arrival. Failure rates are high.

Unless you can afford to risk wasting money on a failed repair attempt up I'd suggest either you start saving for something new or start looking at Apple Authorized Reseller used items. +1 for OWC (macsales.com)

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2021 10:14 AM in response to Lcollina

Usually video card issues follow one into Safe Mode, but I'm always surprised to discover yet another failure mode.

If you have a spare external drive I'd suggest installing a clean copy of MacOS onto an external drive. If the new install also has issues then assume the video card is going bad, but if the new install works normally then the problem is either driver corruption or an application/kext you had installed.

The video card can be replaced, but it is a very difficult and complicated job. Complete disassembly. Linux command line knowledge if flashing a PC laptop card. Used replacement parts of dubious quality frequently showing up dead on arrival. Failure rates are high.

Unless you can afford to risk wasting money on a failed repair attempt up I'd suggest either you start saving for something new or start looking at Apple Authorized Reseller used items. +1 for OWC (macsales.com)

Jul 14, 2021 4:56 PM in response to Lcollina

No we are Apple user just like yourself.

Sadly those 2010 iMac were notorious for have graphic's card issues, which makes finding a new GPU or Logic Board impossible. Plus even if you could find a used or refurbished ATI Radeon HD 5750 chip and someone to replace it for you. The used or refurbished replacement GPU would probable only last for a short time before the problem returned.

I know this is painful to hear, but it's time to retire that iMac and replace it with a new or at least newer iMac.

Jul 14, 2021 5:02 PM in response to Lcollina

Lisa if you want to speak directly to Apple please call AppleCare. I know we told what you DID NOT want to hear however you have heard from 3 very experienced users that have all said the same thing. If you feel like you cannot afford a new iMac, consider a new Mac mini or buy a used Mac from a reputable reseller such www.macsales.com.

Also, please try not to post items that can be construed as insulting, please remember we are here as volunteers.

Good luck!

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010) Video card issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.