Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - Photos out of order when transferring to easystore

Today I transferred all of the photos on my phone to the Photos app on my MacBook Pro, and everything was just fine: in the library, the photos were in chronological order, while my albums were a complete mess - but I can deal with that. Then, I transferred the photos located in the Photos app to my external drive, an easystore, which is compatible with both Mac and PC. After that, I checked how was the visualization of those photos, and it was a total mess. While looking at the photos, I noticed that there was no chronological order, because some photos were dated with the right date, while others were dated as the day in which the photos were transferred. How do I fix this problem and make it organized?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 2:37 PM

Hi

In the photos app, select the images you want to export. (you can select all the images in an album - or just some of them, or you can select multiple albums in a folder.

Then go to the file menu and choose "file>export>export unmodified original for nn photos" (where nn is the number of photos you've slected). You then choose a folder to put them in. Note, you cannot create subfolders based on the album name, but you can choose subfolders based on the "moment name" which will give you dated subfolders.

Bear in mind when you drag/drop, you are only transferring the preview image. This will be lower quality, and might even be lower resolution than the original.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2021 2:37 PM in response to gabrielareno

Hi

In the photos app, select the images you want to export. (you can select all the images in an album - or just some of them, or you can select multiple albums in a folder.

Then go to the file menu and choose "file>export>export unmodified original for nn photos" (where nn is the number of photos you've slected). You then choose a folder to put them in. Note, you cannot create subfolders based on the album name, but you can choose subfolders based on the "moment name" which will give you dated subfolders.

Bear in mind when you drag/drop, you are only transferring the preview image. This will be lower quality, and might even be lower resolution than the original.

Jul 14, 2021 2:20 PM in response to gabrielareno

Be aware the dates shown in the photos app are not the file dates, they are the content created dates in the exif metadata - they are two different sets of data.

How are you transferring to the hard disk? Drag drop? File>export?

Try file>export unmodified original. This should give you an exact copy of the original file, including file creation date.

Jul 14, 2021 5:53 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you so much!!

The dates were finally right!

I exported the unmodified original photos, but when organising the album on the driver by date created/added, it keeps putting first some of the .mp4 that doesn't match the date and puts only a few of the .png photos at the end of the album, that also does not match the date they are supposed to. Is this a bug or something?

Another thing is related to the file name: should I use the title/file name/sequencial or album name with number?

Again, thank you for all the help!

Jul 14, 2021 11:41 PM in response to gabrielareno

Depending on how the mp4 and png files were created they may have file dates that don't match the content created dates. Or it may just be that photos is not correctly restoring the file date correctly.

If you want to rename the files, you could try album name with number. You might then be able to sort by filename, and get the order you want in the folder. You will also get a name based on the album the photos are in.

MacBook Pro - Photos out of order when transferring to easystore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.