Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay not working on ATV2

Hello,

After latest iOS update AirPlay is not working on ATV2 anymore (I know it is old model).

I can find ATV2 on my iPhone for Airplay and switch it on, but in reality sound is playing on iPhone, not on ATV.

ATV2 with latest software 6.2.1

iPhone 11 with latest 14.6 iOS

Maybe somebody know how to rwsplve this problem?

Thank You in advance for answers!

Maris

Apple TV (2nd gen)

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 6:35 AM

I see. I would have thought that those three would work… 😔

Use AirPlay to stream audio - Apple Support

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror the screen of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If screen mirroring or streaming isn't working on your AirPlay-compatible device - Apple Support

Start simple:

- try to mirror the iPhone’s home screen,

- try to mirror a short clip recorded on your iPhone,

- try both screen mirroring and in-app AirPlay.

Are the iPhone and Apple TV on the same home network? It won’t work with the phone on cellular.

On your router, don’t use different SSID network names for the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band, but have them joined into one logical network under one name. Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

It will not work if your router’s firewall blocks certain ports on the internal network.

If your router is set for WPA3, that may be too advanced for the Apple TV (2nd generation). Use WPA2 instead.

If your Apple TV is on Wi-Fi, try ethernet.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2021 6:35 AM in response to maris32

I see. I would have thought that those three would work… 😔

Use AirPlay to stream audio - Apple Support

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror the screen of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If screen mirroring or streaming isn't working on your AirPlay-compatible device - Apple Support

Start simple:

- try to mirror the iPhone’s home screen,

- try to mirror a short clip recorded on your iPhone,

- try both screen mirroring and in-app AirPlay.

Are the iPhone and Apple TV on the same home network? It won’t work with the phone on cellular.

On your router, don’t use different SSID network names for the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band, but have them joined into one logical network under one name. Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

It will not work if your router’s firewall blocks certain ports on the internal network.

If your router is set for WPA3, that may be too advanced for the Apple TV (2nd generation). Use WPA2 instead.

If your Apple TV is on Wi-Fi, try ethernet.

Jul 18, 2021 5:51 AM in response to maris32

Home screen mirroring - working;
Short clip mirroring from iPhone - working;

To me, this confirms that AirPlay itself is working. The issue is not with device settings or the network.

In-app AirPlay from Apple Music or Youtube - not working;

What remains uncertain, is which services (apps) support AirPlay to Apple TV (2nd generation). I don’t have access to that model, so I am unfortunately not able to verify this.

… with iOS latest update.

You’ll need to find a phone today with the previous version iOS to be able to even hint at that claim.

Either way, the 2nd generation has been unsupported for several years now, so if there is an issue now, it will not get fixed. Maybe it is time to consider modernizing this part of your equipment.

Jul 16, 2021 4:21 AM in response to maris32

It depends on the service.

Some services will AirPlay to anything that has AirPlay activated.

Some services do not support AirPlay, or block AirPlay.

Some services will AirPlay to 3rd generation or later, and AirPlay-2 devices, but not 2nd generation.

Some services will AirPlay to AirPlay 2-devices (including 4th generation or later).

Verify what the content provider lists for AirPlay requirements.

e.g. Can I use AirPlay to watch Disney+? - Disney+ Help Center → 3rd generation or later.

e.g. Stream to your TV using AirPlay - HBO Max Help Center → AirPlay 2-devices.

e.g. How to use a mobile device to watch Netflix on a TV - Netflix Help Center → No AirPlay support

Jul 16, 2021 7:24 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank You for Your help!

There is what I checked:

Home screen mirroring - working;

Short clip mirroring from iPhone - working;

In app AirPlay from Apple Music or Youtube - not working;

Phone and Apple TV2 is in the same home network;

Same SSID;

In my home network I use only 5Ghz band. (A lot of neighbors);

Both appliances connectwd by WiFi;

Router security settings WPA2;

BR

Maris

Aug 12, 2021 1:25 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Sorry for late answer. I just checked iPhone 8 with iOS 14.4.2 and there airplay to ATV2 is working without problem. It looks like Apple do some airplay protocol changes from iOS 14.6

This is bad news because I used ATV2 in connection between Apple Music app on iPhone and audio receiver. Of course I can change it to some cheap Chromecast, but there will be some music quality drop because Airplay between iPhone ans ATV2 is working in lossless format.

AirPlay not working on ATV2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.