Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Windows 8.1 on an Early 2020 MacBook Air (With Intel CPUs)

I want to install Windows 8.1 on my Intel MacBook Air 2020 running Big Sur (Not the M1 ones) but BootCamp only allows Windows 10 installations which I don't want. I tried several solutions but they all failed:

Downgrade to High Sierra (Last version that supports BootCamp 8.1 officially)

How it failed: HighSierra installer blocked

Use a W8.1 ISO to trick BootCamp Assistant to install 8.1

How it failed: It finds out that it is a 8.1 ISO, blocking the installation

Use a Windows PC to burn a USB to be bootable to the W8.1 installer

How it failed: Boots into the installer but the keyboard and trackpad doesn't work

Put Windows Support Software in the bootable 8.1 USB

How it failed: Support Software doesn't work

So how could I install W8.1 on my Early 2020 MacBook Air?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 7:31 AM

memer420 wrote:

*The WindowsSupport drivers worked as the installer detected my Bootcamp partitions with no problem. The WindowsSupport folder proves that my MacBook supports Windows 8.1 B)

The drivers used in Windows Support can support more than one model. Drawing a conclusion that W8.1 is supported because some Windows Support drivers work, is a very poor conclusion. You need to run a W8.1 VM, if you really need W8.1.

Is there specific software that does not work on W10, but works only on W8.1? Another option to consider is to find a 2014 or older Mac and use it as a W8.1 Mac, or look for an older PC.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2021 7:31 AM in response to memer420

memer420 wrote:

*The WindowsSupport drivers worked as the installer detected my Bootcamp partitions with no problem. The WindowsSupport folder proves that my MacBook supports Windows 8.1 B)

The drivers used in Windows Support can support more than one model. Drawing a conclusion that W8.1 is supported because some Windows Support drivers work, is a very poor conclusion. You need to run a W8.1 VM, if you really need W8.1.

Is there specific software that does not work on W10, but works only on W8.1? Another option to consider is to find a 2014 or older Mac and use it as a W8.1 Mac, or look for an older PC.

Aug 8, 2021 7:15 AM in response to Loner T

So is there a workaround? I booted into a USB installer that I made using Rufus and used a Windows-compatitable mouse and a Lightening to USB adapter to get through the installer, but after everything completed it refuses to boot into the OOBE. However, when I observed the partition with macOS, the system files were complete. I forgot what error messages it gave me, but I can't close them as not even the Windows-compatitable mouse shows up

Install Windows 8.1 on an Early 2020 MacBook Air (With Intel CPUs)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.