Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Photos app shows weirdly looking thumbprints

Luckily, I experience this only for videos I took on my iPhone 12 mini. Their colors are highly distorted, to the point of making the thumbprints unusable. Whenever I hover the mouse above the videos, the video preview displays properly but that's most likely a different story.

I imported these videos on an iMac 2011 running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6. Even when I share the videos in a Shared Album, the thumbprints still look weird; perhaps an optimization thing that just grabs the thumbprints from the iMac instead of generating new ones.

I wonder if anyone did experience this behavior and knows how to generate some properly looking thumbprints?

Thanks very much, eugen

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 4:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 1:53 AM

HDR will give you a bigger colour range, and make your videos look brighter and punchier. You can see the difference if you compare HDR video with non HDR on your phone just by recording two clips, one with it and one without. (your phone can fully display the HDR that it records)

But

Your hardware (whatever device you are playing it on) needs to be able to display HDR video. Only very recent macs (from about 2018*) can. And only HDR TV sets that recognises Dolby Vision HDR - and have a device that can send HDR files to it, if they can't play it directly from the TV built in apps.

If you share HDR video with others, then you have to know that they can also play it. Depending on the device they are playing on, it might just show as standard dynamic range, but In the worst case they see video that looks like your thumbnail.

If you want to edit HDR and output HDR from the editor then you also need expensive pro level software.

My conclusion is it is not worth the effort, and I have HDR turned off on my phone. I've lived with standard dynamic range for a few decades, and I'm not willing to take on the hassle of dealing with HDR until everyone's hardware and software catches up.

*https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210980 - for macs using external displays, the external display also needs to be HDR capable

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 1:53 AM in response to eugen_nw

HDR will give you a bigger colour range, and make your videos look brighter and punchier. You can see the difference if you compare HDR video with non HDR on your phone just by recording two clips, one with it and one without. (your phone can fully display the HDR that it records)

But

Your hardware (whatever device you are playing it on) needs to be able to display HDR video. Only very recent macs (from about 2018*) can. And only HDR TV sets that recognises Dolby Vision HDR - and have a device that can send HDR files to it, if they can't play it directly from the TV built in apps.

If you share HDR video with others, then you have to know that they can also play it. Depending on the device they are playing on, it might just show as standard dynamic range, but In the worst case they see video that looks like your thumbnail.

If you want to edit HDR and output HDR from the editor then you also need expensive pro level software.

My conclusion is it is not worth the effort, and I have HDR turned off on my phone. I've lived with standard dynamic range for a few decades, and I'm not willing to take on the hassle of dealing with HDR until everyone's hardware and software catches up.

*https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210980 - for macs using external displays, the external display also needs to be HDR capable

MacOS Photos app shows weirdly looking thumbprints

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.