Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer keeps turning off randomly

It has happened at least 5 times in the last two weeks. Randomly, when I am using my computer it will go black (off, absolutely no backlight) and then no matter what I press, type, or move it will take 10-20 seconds to turn on and it will have everything the way I had it. It has happened at 54%, 30%, 20%, 12%, and 9% battery so it's not a thing of the battery running out cuz there is no way the number was that off that it was really at 5% when it showed 54%. I shut it off, thinking maybe it had been on for too long but that didn't seem to make a difference (usually shut it off once a week). The battery wasn't hot either, like at all.

I am coder, my computer is on all day working with codes and all the times it has happened it hasn't been running anything so the load it had was minimum (safari with a few tabs open and some text files open in sublime). I know I over use my computer but I don't have another computer to run the codes, sometimes they do ask too much of my computer and the fans go crazy but I haven't run a code like that in a few weeks now. I also have installed Mac fans controls to keep my computer cool because it would melt if I let it be with the original settings when running the codes, but if that software did anything to my hardware I would assume it would be to the fans and not the battery.

I have had my computer for around 2 and a half years, the system report says it has had 1028 battery cycles and says condition "normal". Is there anyway I can check myself for a cause? I can't really be without a computer while they check it out so if I can pin point a cause myself would be the best scenario. Also, in what kind of situation would I require to change the battery? and which one would allow me to keep using it until things become too annoying?

I have MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 8:18 AM

What is the exact model of your laptop? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac".

You say the computer came back exactly as it was before the issue. I need you to clarify this a bit. Did the laptop show it was booting or restoring from hibernation where you see a progress bar at the center of the screen or at the bottom of the screen respectively? Or did the computer appear to just wake up with the screen just coming back on? This is very important as these indicate three different scenarios that can help you understand what may be happening.

FYI, I have encountered an issue with a couple of our organization's USB-C Apple laptops where the laptop appeared to be powered off, but in fact the laptop was still powered on but the display was dark and did not have me authenticate to log back in. I don't think I ever discovered what caused this issue as I could not reproduce it again.

Here are some things you can try in order to gather more information when the issue occurs:

• Play music to see if the music stops playing when the display goes dark. If the music continues to play, then you know the laptop is still functioning except for the display output.
  • Press the Caps Lock key to see if the Caps Lock LED lights up (again indicating the laptop is powered on and functional at least for a 2017 or earlier model laptop)
  • If you have a 2016+ model, then close the display and slowly & carefully open the lid just a tiny bit to see if the display lights up again (less than 45 degrees) to see if you may have a display cable issue

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2021 8:18 AM in response to mariel-od

What is the exact model of your laptop? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac".

You say the computer came back exactly as it was before the issue. I need you to clarify this a bit. Did the laptop show it was booting or restoring from hibernation where you see a progress bar at the center of the screen or at the bottom of the screen respectively? Or did the computer appear to just wake up with the screen just coming back on? This is very important as these indicate three different scenarios that can help you understand what may be happening.

FYI, I have encountered an issue with a couple of our organization's USB-C Apple laptops where the laptop appeared to be powered off, but in fact the laptop was still powered on but the display was dark and did not have me authenticate to log back in. I don't think I ever discovered what caused this issue as I could not reproduce it again.

Here are some things you can try in order to gather more information when the issue occurs:

• Play music to see if the music stops playing when the display goes dark. If the music continues to play, then you know the laptop is still functioning except for the display output.
  • Press the Caps Lock key to see if the Caps Lock LED lights up (again indicating the laptop is powered on and functional at least for a 2017 or earlier model laptop)
  • If you have a 2016+ model, then close the display and slowly & carefully open the lid just a tiny bit to see if the display lights up again (less than 45 degrees) to see if you may have a display cable issue

Jul 17, 2021 10:01 AM in response to mariel-od

The extra symptoms you have mentioned are exactly what I have experienced on a couple of our organization's Apple USB-C laptops.

See if your laptop qualifies for this SSD and Battery free repair programs (there are time limits at least on the SSD program):

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service

https://support.apple.com/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement

FYI, here is the current publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products (some products such as your laptop have multiple programs available):

https://support.apple.com/service-programs

Jul 21, 2021 8:14 PM in response to mariel-od

Intermittent issues can be extremely hard to troubleshoot even when I have the computer in front of me where I can try to detect the smallest little signs. The USB-C Apple laptops are much harder to troubleshoot than any other computer (even older Macs). Years ago we could look at the system logs for clues, but unfortunately Apple has made the system logs absolutely useless for troubleshooting these days. Everything about USB-C Macs is much more difficult from a support & troubleshooting & repair perspective.

If the Caps Lock key did not light up, then it means either the laptop is powered off, or perhaps the laptop is frozen (not sure about the latter). Streaming music is the best way to know if the computer is still working (at least for the most part) which is helpful since a powered off or frozen computer means something different.

Have you tried running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected? Your battery cycle count is over the expected lifetime cycle count so there is a chance the battery could have a problem.

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you allow EtreCheck "Full Disk Access" the report will include a summary of the recent system logs which may provide a clue.

Jul 22, 2021 6:55 PM in response to mariel-od

Your battery's Cycle Count is beyond the normal lifespan of 1,000 cycles so there is a possibility the battery has developed a fault that even the diagnostics is not detecting. I have had a few laptops pass the diagnostics, but actually have defective batteries after I ran some very close observations on their charging & discharging cycles usually while running a system stress test that can sometimes allow a battery fault to become noticeable under close examination of the discharging cycle.

I have seen several of our organizations non-touchbar 2016-2017 MBPros have SSD failures so an intermittent SSD failure is certainly a possibility and it can be very hard to identify when it does not produce a Kernel Panic.

You may want to run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container since file system issues can cause a Mac to freeze or power off. Within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid shows everything is "Ok" click "Show Details" and manually scroll back through the report looking for any unfixed errors. If there are any unfixed errors listed, then you will need to erase the whole physical drive before restoring from a backup or clone.

I don't see anything software that would be a concern in the report that would cause a problem, but the most likely software would be the Fortinet VPN software. You can try booting into Safe Mode to see if the crashes stop occurring which would tend to indicate some driver or login item listed in the EtreCheck report is at fault. Once your laptop is running normally you should uninstall the Adobe Flash software by following Adobe's instructions since Flash is no longer supported on any platform so it is a very high security risk.

You may want to try booting from a clean install of macOS to see if you still get these freezes or shutdowns. A clean install requires erasing the whole physical drive before installing macOS. You need to thoroughly test the clean install before migrating or restoring from a backup since you may just be bringing back the problem. Also test thoroughly before installing any third party apps. If a clean install appears to work fine, then begin installing third party apps one at a time and thoroughly testing each one so you can determine if one of them may be causing a problem. You can also try installing macOS to an external USB3 drive for testing which would leave your internal drive untouched to minimize downtime from work. If booting an external drive works fine, then it may reinforce the notion that the internal SSD has a problem.

Try disconnecting all external devices in case one of them is causing your problems. It may also be a compatibility problem between two different external devices.

Jul 17, 2021 8:33 AM in response to HWTech

My computer is a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports).

When the screen came back it appeared to just wake up with everything just coming back on, but I did have to wait for it to turn back on. It didn't respond immediately regardless of what I typed, moved or pressed, I always had to wait 10-20 seconds. It didn't seem like it was turning on or rebooting cuz it didn't ask me to log in to my user.

I can't reproduce when it happens, it's random and there doesn't seem to be a common factor at all, I was never moving the screen, the battery was never hot, the computer was never running intensive tasks, the battery wasn't always low. It seems to be very random.

I honestly dont listen to music so having music on constantly in case it happens would be very annoying and counterproductive for my work efficiency and my relaxation time (yeah I know, thats weird). But I will pay attention and press the cap lock when it turns off to see if the computer is still functional and check the tilting that you also mentioned.

It could be a connector with the screen because I've had black flashes with red lines pop up when I watch netlifx randomly (not very often) since day one of having this computer. I always assumed it was something with the flash because it only ever happens on netflix or youtube, never when I am doing anything else.

Jul 17, 2021 11:07 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks! I honestly didn't think I'd find more people with the same problem. So it's good to know I am not alone.

Sadly, my serial number is not in the list of those affected in either link. I kind of think it's because I bought it, and am, in latin-america and I feel like the support in my country is not the best, I could be wrong, but if my issues fit the bill then I don't know what else could have caused them.

Thanks for your help!

Jul 21, 2021 10:51 AM in response to HWTech

It happened again today. At a zoom meeting after starting screen sharing, second time it happens in that kind of situation. It had 50% battery. No intensive tasks running, it wasn't hot, fans weren't going crazy, I didn't move the screen, nothing weird or related that I can think of.

I tested turning on the caplocks while the screen was off and the light wasn't turning on, so I guess my computer completely shut off. I had done a SMC reset the other day because that was apple's solution when I contacted them after seeing my computer wasn't on the list of those affected by the faulty batteries.

What does it all mean? I will contact them again because they told me to do so if it happened again after doing the SMC reset

Computer keeps turning off randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.