Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does cellular data need to be turned on for iPhone or was I HACKED?

Pls see photos below. Is that normal? In all my years of using iPhones I have never seen this - cellular data for photo windows popping up incessantly all the time - until recently. I also did not realize pop-up windows could appear on the power off screen. Is all that normal or is my phone hacked? (This is from my 3rd iPhone).

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 9:13 AM

Because what you’re seeing is normal for cases where Photos wants to check for and synch using cellular data, and cannot.

Cellular-capable iPads without active plans will pop a message about cellular plans on occasion, too.

As for the welcome-to-photos messages, as answered above, yes, Photos does that when Apple releases some new features for Photos. Review those displays to learn more about what Photos can now do, or dismiss that. Most of the major apps include that.

Since you are also seemingly concerned about security, I’d suggest spending some time with the following document:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1976/en_US/device-and-data-access-when-personal-safety-is-at-risk.pdf

for the sorts of issues and concerns that can arise, and what to do to avoid problems.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 9:13 AM in response to Pleeleelee

Because what you’re seeing is normal for cases where Photos wants to check for and synch using cellular data, and cannot.

Cellular-capable iPads without active plans will pop a message about cellular plans on occasion, too.

As for the welcome-to-photos messages, as answered above, yes, Photos does that when Apple releases some new features for Photos. Review those displays to learn more about what Photos can now do, or dismiss that. Most of the major apps include that.

Since you are also seemingly concerned about security, I’d suggest spending some time with the following document:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1976/en_US/device-and-data-access-when-personal-safety-is-at-risk.pdf

for the sorts of issues and concerns that can arise, and what to do to avoid problems.

Jul 17, 2021 9:58 PM in response to Pleeleelee

No hack. Entirely mundane. You have chosen to disable cellular data specifically for Photos usage, and may well have configured iCloud Photos, which would be using data for Photos-related transfers. This setting permits Photos to only be able to synchronize Photos while on Wi-Fi. If this (message) didn’t happen, the iPhone user might be left to wonder why the photos are not synchronized.

Jul 17, 2021 10:31 PM in response to Pleeleelee

Explainable but why suddenly so randomly and when I am not even using photos, iCloud, or the camera? Also, when I go into photos it would say “what’s new in photos” even tho iOS only says that the first time you use photos. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. That said, I’ll set up the scenario you just described and see if it happens again. Thank you.

Jul 17, 2021 10:37 PM in response to Pleeleelee

Pleeleelee wrote:

Explainable but why suddenly so randomly and when I am not even using photos, iCloud, or the camera? Also, when I go into photos it would say “what’s new in photos” even tho iOS only says that the first time you use photos. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. That said, I’ll set up the scenario you just described and see if it happens again. Thank you.

When the Photos app is updated (new version) you will see that as well.

Does cellular data need to be turned on for iPhone or was I HACKED?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.