Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock Application folder icon not recognized

The icon in the dock for the Application Folder is not one I recognize. I noticed today on my mother's MacBook Air that the icon looks different then I thought was normal. I am just double checking to see if this a normal icon for the Application folder. I am used to a blue folder icon or on my iMac a folder that has the icon of the first software in my application folder - not the "Apps" icon.

Is this a normal icon Apple uses to represent the Application folder in the dock?

Thanks for any input.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 12:31 PM

It is perfectly normal, you can select how the Applications folder displays itself in the Dock.

If you press and hold down the Control key and click on the Applications folder in the Dock

you will see a submenu. The submenu offers you options on how to Sort the items contained

in the folder. How the folder should be Displayed and also how the content within should be

Viewed.

The above screenshot is from macOS Mojave, the submenu for macOS may have slightly

different options.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 12:31 PM in response to dogwood74

It is perfectly normal, you can select how the Applications folder displays itself in the Dock.

If you press and hold down the Control key and click on the Applications folder in the Dock

you will see a submenu. The submenu offers you options on how to Sort the items contained

in the folder. How the folder should be Displayed and also how the content within should be

Viewed.

The above screenshot is from macOS Mojave, the submenu for macOS may have slightly

different options.

Dock Application folder icon not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.