Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Portions of Imovie video are blackscreen

I've made up a nearly 5 minute video in imovie 10. Running Catalina on a Macbook pro 2012. I've done other movies but never had this happen

The movie was working fine. Then I tweaked some parts near the end.

Now, nearly 2 minutes into it, the video portion goes black, and stays black to the end (with the exception of white text that appears). Also, the audio still plays.

When I exported the movie, it is a 1:51 movie, not the nearly 5 minute long movie. So, it has full video but ends prematurely at 1:51.

It is as though, somehow, I've selected only the first 1:51 to be saved/exported. But I didn't try to do that. I reselected al the clips, just in case. but still have the problem. In the screenshots below, the first is before 1:51, when everything is fine. The second is after 1:51. where the video is black (but as I said, does show text and plays audio).

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Bz7UpZX.png[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/B9WqFf3.png[/img]

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 5:36 PM

Could be a corrupt preference causing the black screen, or perhaps there is some corruption that is confined to just this one project.

Try deleting preferences and see if that cures it. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your

projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If no luck, try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of all the media in your project and then Edit/Paste it into a newly created project. See if that solves the black screen issue.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 5:36 PM in response to gwefwefd

Could be a corrupt preference causing the black screen, or perhaps there is some corruption that is confined to just this one project.

Try deleting preferences and see if that cures it. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your

projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If no luck, try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of all the media in your project and then Edit/Paste it into a newly created project. See if that solves the black screen issue.

-- Rich

Portions of Imovie video are blackscreen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.