Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMovie won't update previous project and events

Just got a new macmini M1 (running Big Sur of course). I migrated my info from High Sierra. Update iMovie to 10.2.5 I had it update previosu projects, but it did not find most old projects. I hav eto admit that many of those projects have not been opened for many years, some are more than 10 years old, but stil I owudl liek to open them (which I currently cannot). Is there a way to update th eprojects so that the 10.2.5 version can see them (open tehm)?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 8:10 AM

In what version of iMovie were the previous un-findable old projects created? What steps are you taking to update them, and what happens when you try? iMovie 10 will only update from versions back to iMovie 7. I will not update iMovie 6 and earlier.

-- Rich

3 replies

Aug 30, 2021 12:52 PM in response to bg-hqet

Do you have the project files of the old iMovie version? Do you have a working application of the old version, say on an older computer? If so, you can open the projects with the old app. Otherwise, you might be able to get the .mov file from the package contents of the project. It won't be editable but will at least be a video of the entire edited project.

Take a look at this thread for some more info:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252867534

-- Rich

New iMovie won't update previous project and events

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.