Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos taken on iphone (now) not showing up in places on iphone?(!)

i go looking for photos i took recently in various locations and i can't find the photos in PLACES.

i find older photos i took in that location.

but not newer ones.

of course this is hard to troubleshoot since i am not really always looking for photos in the Places section of photos on my phone.

i assume this has nothing to do with turning off wifi? why is this happening? how would i troubleshoot it? check to see that some location data setting in the photos app has not been turned off. what would that be?

also. then what?(!)

THANKS

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 9:25 PM

I found this in an outside article. Step 4 and 5 seem promising if a simple restart doesn't work. Just be careful if you use #5 to not "erase all content and settings" as that will wipe your phone clean

Please try the steps below in order until you have fix your problem:

Before you do anything, simply restart your device to see restarting helps you fix this “photos” problem.

1. Make sure that you’ve installed the latest iOS software updates on your iPhone. You can check for updates by going to Settings > General > Software Update. And if there is an update, follow the onscreen instructions. 

2. Make sure that Location Services is enabled. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and ensure that Location Services on. If it is already turned on, turn it off, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it on. Furthermore, make sure that Maps and Camera are allowed to use Location Services by setting them to “While Using the App”.

3. Check the date and time on your device to ensure that they are set correctly for your location. On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > General > Date & Time. If you see anything wrong, change it. You can also enable the option to set date and time automatically by turning on Set Automatically.

4. It is possible that Location Services may not be working properly. It is important that Location Services work properly. Because the Photos app and Camera are using your phone’s location via GPS to tag photos or photos. You may want to reset Location Services. On your device, go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset Location & Privacy. Then follow the onscreen instructions. This will reset your location settings to the factory default. 

5. If resetting Location Services does not fix it, you may want to reset all settings. This will return your iPhone’s settings to the defaults. This includes network settings, display settings, location settings, etc. But this will not erase your data or media, e.g., your photos will not be deleted. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Then follow the onscreen instructions. 

6. If you are seeing an inaccurate location address or map, Apple Maps could be responsible. Apple Maps is not perfect, and it is known that Apple Maps may not always work. There may be nothing wrong with your device and it is possible that your phone works as expected. Apple Maps offers a correction feature that you can use. Here is how:

1. Open the photo that shows an inaccurate location.
  2. Swipe up and reveal the map. 
  3. Under the map, you will see the photo’s address. Tap that to open the address in Apple Maps.

1. Apple Maps will open. In the upper-right corner, you will see the info (i) button. Tap that.
  2. Then tap Report an Issue. 
  3. Then follow the onscreen instructions to report your issue. 

If you are still having this problem, you may want to contact Apple for further support.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 9:25 PM in response to hotwheels22

I found this in an outside article. Step 4 and 5 seem promising if a simple restart doesn't work. Just be careful if you use #5 to not "erase all content and settings" as that will wipe your phone clean

Please try the steps below in order until you have fix your problem:

Before you do anything, simply restart your device to see restarting helps you fix this “photos” problem.

1. Make sure that you’ve installed the latest iOS software updates on your iPhone. You can check for updates by going to Settings > General > Software Update. And if there is an update, follow the onscreen instructions. 

2. Make sure that Location Services is enabled. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and ensure that Location Services on. If it is already turned on, turn it off, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it on. Furthermore, make sure that Maps and Camera are allowed to use Location Services by setting them to “While Using the App”.

3. Check the date and time on your device to ensure that they are set correctly for your location. On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > General > Date & Time. If you see anything wrong, change it. You can also enable the option to set date and time automatically by turning on Set Automatically.

4. It is possible that Location Services may not be working properly. It is important that Location Services work properly. Because the Photos app and Camera are using your phone’s location via GPS to tag photos or photos. You may want to reset Location Services. On your device, go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset Location & Privacy. Then follow the onscreen instructions. This will reset your location settings to the factory default. 

5. If resetting Location Services does not fix it, you may want to reset all settings. This will return your iPhone’s settings to the defaults. This includes network settings, display settings, location settings, etc. But this will not erase your data or media, e.g., your photos will not be deleted. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Then follow the onscreen instructions. 

6. If you are seeing an inaccurate location address or map, Apple Maps could be responsible. Apple Maps is not perfect, and it is known that Apple Maps may not always work. There may be nothing wrong with your device and it is possible that your phone works as expected. Apple Maps offers a correction feature that you can use. Here is how:

1. Open the photo that shows an inaccurate location.
  2. Swipe up and reveal the map. 
  3. Under the map, you will see the photo’s address. Tap that to open the address in Apple Maps.

1. Apple Maps will open. In the upper-right corner, you will see the info (i) button. Tap that.
  2. Then tap Report an Issue. 
  3. Then follow the onscreen instructions to report your issue. 

If you are still having this problem, you may want to contact Apple for further support.

Jul 19, 2021 7:45 PM in response to muguy

hi. i went to the desktop (again i am taking the photos with my iphone and trying to view them in places on my phone) and i EXPORTED a photo that does not appear in places on my Phone. i had to select the option to export with location data.

and this is what i am seeing.

i guess it is not showing location data on the photo even though my SETTINGS > PRIVACY shows LOCATION DATA as ON?

any ideas?

Jul 19, 2021 9:20 PM in response to muguy

hi muguy,

thanks for your help.

i checked with CTRL + I while in the photos app on my desktop and it does not appear to have any GPS data?

so for some reason my iphone has decided to stop recording GPS data on my photos and they no longer show up in PLACES?

anyone got a solution?

i will try turning off location setting. restarting and turning it on in the meantime...

Jul 19, 2021 3:06 PM in response to muguy

i'm in my phone.

i take photos on my phone.

i look at them in the photos app on my phone.

i use places to find some photos in Places in Photos on my phone.

now i can't do this.

-

you are suggesting i isolate the problem by going to my laptop to see if it is a NEW "taking pictures with my iphone problem so it has GPS data" or a "looking at pictures on my iphone in Places in Photos app on my phone - where the photos may or may or may not have GPS data"?

Jul 19, 2021 7:59 PM in response to hotwheels22

You'll want to check just in photos. Select a photo and the get info (command+I). Without exporting it. That's where you can visually see some of the data that is otherwise in your photo metadata. I'm not sure how the individual export setting for location works with the general setting (photos > preferences > general) for including metadata.

If you don't see locations in photos, then you likely have an issue with location permissions and the camera. I'd restart the phone and see what happens. Actually, I'd probably toggle off location services on photos. Restart the phone and then turn it on and see if there is a change. Probably unnecessary steps but there might be some combo that fixes the issue.

If you do see locations, then there might be an issue with your photo library. Maybe someone can chime in here.

Jul 20, 2021 7:10 AM in response to muguy

is there a hands placed together with palms facing each other and head bowed emoji?

step two was to verify Settings > Location Services > Camera is set to While Using.

in a fit of privacy i must have changed this.

now i guess i need to see if there is a way to copy stamp GPS data onto some photos that i want to be a able to find in places...

anyway you are a demi-god. THANK YOU.

Jul 20, 2021 11:04 AM in response to hotwheels22

You can add locations to any photo. From that same info screen within photos click in "assign location." Start typing an address or location. I'm not sure if this location information that you add is geocoded in the same way as your other pictures. There are exif editing tools out there that may help. For what it's worth, I just assign location and add addresses or cities to pictures taken with my old Cannon camera. The EXIF data surrounding photos is complicated as the standard has evolved over time and but some legacy issues still persist. As do some data that would be attached, like faces information and to a lesser extent some geo location. I'd search the App Store or internet for exif editor or simply try the assign location in Photos. I've used EXIF studio in the past but there are a range of tools that may help, or simply may be overkill for what you need.

Best of luck!

photos taken on iphone (now) not showing up in places on iphone?(!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.