Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my home sharing won't work on apple tv 4k - why

how can I transfer my music from my iPhone or computer? The apple TV keeps telling me that my home sharing is not on.....but it is

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 7:28 AM

Home Sharing uses a designated Apple ID account, that has to match between the Apple TV box and the networked computer. Only matching libraries will be found. Home Sharing has to be activated on both the Apple TV box and on the computer. How that is done on the computer, depends on its version operating system.

Home Sharing makes the library accessible for home network streaming, but doesn’t transfer the content.

Your phone’s content can’t be a home sharing source. Only computers can. You may AirPlay instead.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

• On Macs with macOS Catalina or later, Home Sharing is activated in System Preferences,
  • On Macs with macOS Mojave or earlier, Home Sharing is activated in the iTunes application,
  • On Windows PCs, Home Sharing is activated in the iTunes application.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2021 7:28 AM in response to pamellafromsouthlake

Home Sharing uses a designated Apple ID account, that has to match between the Apple TV box and the networked computer. Only matching libraries will be found. Home Sharing has to be activated on both the Apple TV box and on the computer. How that is done on the computer, depends on its version operating system.

Home Sharing makes the library accessible for home network streaming, but doesn’t transfer the content.

Your phone’s content can’t be a home sharing source. Only computers can. You may AirPlay instead.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

• On Macs with macOS Catalina or later, Home Sharing is activated in System Preferences,
  • On Macs with macOS Mojave or earlier, Home Sharing is activated in the iTunes application,
  • On Windows PCs, Home Sharing is activated in the iTunes application.

Jul 22, 2021 6:10 AM in response to pamellafromsouthlake

Are the computer and Apple TV on the same network? Then they should be able to detect each other.

Note that the use of different SSID network names on the router for the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band, would create two networks that can’t communicate with each other. Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Please disclose your computer OS and version.

my home sharing won't work on apple tv 4k - why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.