Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro to Sony TV USB-C/HDMI Problem

I can’t get sound from my tv after plugging in my USB-C to HDMI cable . I’ve tried everything .

In “Output” my cable comes up as Display but says nothing about sound .

Also I’ve tried Setting my Sound effects to my TV , creating a new audio device in Audio MIDI Setup ….. all equals nothing .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 5:25 PM

after re-reading your question, i noticed you have a USB-C to HDMI cable. in most cases that is exactly what they are, a cable. for a mac you need an adapter, not a cable. while some USB-C to HDMI cables have an adapter built-in, most do not. the adapter has circuitry in them that turns the mac's USB-C signal into a usable HDMI signal that a television can "understand" as an audio/video signal.

have a look here: About the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

the one i use is cheaper and can be found on amazon here: Tripp Lite USB C to HDMI Video Adapter

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2021 5:25 PM in response to Mrjojo1985

after re-reading your question, i noticed you have a USB-C to HDMI cable. in most cases that is exactly what they are, a cable. for a mac you need an adapter, not a cable. while some USB-C to HDMI cables have an adapter built-in, most do not. the adapter has circuitry in them that turns the mac's USB-C signal into a usable HDMI signal that a television can "understand" as an audio/video signal.

have a look here: About the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

the one i use is cheaper and can be found on amazon here: Tripp Lite USB C to HDMI Video Adapter

Jul 23, 2021 7:46 AM in response to Mrjojo1985

here in Canada we have access to shipping from OWC. they are the go-to for mac compatible hardware. in Australia there are OWC resellers. due to me not knowing the geography there, i don't know which one is close to you. but you can go to the reseller site and find if there is one that will ship to you. just scroll down till you see the Australia section.

OWC resellers international

MacBook Pro to Sony TV USB-C/HDMI Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.