Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Favorites Keep Disappearing from Finder Sidebar

I came back to my computer that was asleep since last night and found that virtually everything I had placed in the Favorites in the Finder Sidebar was gone. All I did was wake up the computer.

I tried following advice found in another thread: relaunched the Finder and restarted my computer. Neither did a thing.

This has happened twice in the past few days, once or twice in the past year, and never ever before that.

I've spent quite a bit of time with an Apple advisor on the phone today, and she so far has no clue why this is happening nor how to prevent it from happening in the future.

What I most want to know is how to keep it from happening. It's quite irritating to have to keep setting up my favorites from scratch.

Any ideas?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 2:03 PM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to nearly twice as long as a normal boot as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2021 2:03 PM in response to mccarlson

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to nearly twice as long as a normal boot as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Favorites Keep Disappearing from Finder Sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.