Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random photos in my Photo album

Hello all,

I’m really confused as this has happened to me twice. I have found a random picture in my photo album. On both occasions I didn’t have my Bluetooth on, I hadn’t provided access to apps to my photos, I didn’t (and still don’t) use ICloud for my photos. No one has access to my phone/the people that do were with me and wouldn’t have been able to take the pictures/screenshots.

When it first happened and I didn’t think anything of it. However it’s happened and a second time and I’m worried about the security of my phone. It’s happened on my refurbished iPhone 7plus. Im wondering if it’s because it was refurbished?

Is there a reason why this has happened? I’ve changed my ICloud password and have since checked all my chats- none had the pictures I found in my album (one was of a stranger’s silhouette standing in a dimly lit city landscape. The second more recent one was of a band set up on a stage).

Please help! It’s beginning to creep me out! I’m planning on buying a new phone and creating a new ICloud account. Do you think this would help?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 4:53 PM

The level of access someone may have to a jailbroken phone is quite hard to outright measure, but at the end of the day they may be able to SSH into the device (a form of remote access performed over command line), bit then again jail breaking does not bypass all of apple’s very advanced security, so again, unfortunately very hard to say. If it was jailbroken, the chance of vulnerabilities is just much higher so to speak.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2021 4:53 PM in response to Khanom_H

The level of access someone may have to a jailbroken phone is quite hard to outright measure, but at the end of the day they may be able to SSH into the device (a form of remote access performed over command line), bit then again jail breaking does not bypass all of apple’s very advanced security, so again, unfortunately very hard to say. If it was jailbroken, the chance of vulnerabilities is just much higher so to speak.

Jul 22, 2021 4:13 PM in response to Khanom_H

Get the big stuff out of the way first. The pictures are not appearing because your device was refurbished and creating a new iCloud account is unnecessary. Plus, you've changed the password. You can also enable two-factor authentication for extra measure.

If you're as closed off as you indicate, someone would need physical access to your phone to add the images. So, the most logical explanation is that the images are coming from you. Open Photos, navigate to the image, and "get info." Those are likely just accidental saves or screenshots.

Jul 22, 2021 4:19 PM in response to muguy

Hello,

So I tried doing this but there was no info to the images. Only times. The first time it happened the picture had been taken/appeared in my album when I wasn’t using it. This was also the case the second time, I was away from my phone and it was charging.

In hindsight I should’ve screenshot all of this but unfortunately after finding them I deleted them soon after

Jul 22, 2021 4:28 PM in response to Khanom_H

Jailbreaking is a way to hack an apple device, such as an iPhone, to allow it to be customised and bypass most of apple’s restrictions. If used Incorrectly it can post a security threat. You can easily tell if your phone is jailbroken if you have an app called “Cydia” installed, it will be a non-removable app (like settings for example).

Jul 22, 2021 4:29 PM in response to Khanom_H

Did you purchase the device refurbished from Apple? If not, there is a possibility that it was jailbroken (people like to set up their phone to bypass Apple's software to load their own or other apps). If you got the device from Apple, and it's been in your possession, it's not an issue. The images don't have any info on them as far as camera used, etc. so they weren't taken by your device or anyone else's. That means they are likely images from the web. I'm still going with accidental save. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you permanently deleted the images, not much more to do there. If it happens again, I'd take it to an Apple Store and show them.

Jul 22, 2021 4:37 PM in response to muguy

I would agree; there’s only a finite amount of ways that this can happen. Personally to me it sounds like someone ( a friend probably) is trying to freak you out for fun. Apple has very tight security on their devices, the chance for someone to hack into it (unless you are jailbroken) is extremely low, and even if they did, I’m sure they wouldn’t go to all that effort just to add a few pictures to your album.

Random photos in my Photo album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.