Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Other" Files taking up 48GB ...WHY??

MacBook Pro 2015.

128GB

Why, when all my files are either stored in iCloud or Onedrive, and only minimum data stored on my hard drive, does storage show that "Other" files is using 48GB of storage ?

What or Who is taking up all the space ? and how do I remove it!!??

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 5:14 PM

The Final Word from Apple on managing the " Other " Category

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 5:14 PM in response to Gaz-67

The Final Word from Apple on managing the " Other " Category

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Jul 23, 2021 2:30 AM in response to Gaz-67

See used and available storage space on your Mac and Apples' final word on managing " Other " storage

As pervious person mentioned - the VM software and thusly whatever OS is being run in the VM is going to occupy a lot of space especially on the tiny 128 GB SSD Internal Drive. It will be a major issue to keep the drive from being too full and to the point the computer may eventually stop booting at all.

Jul 22, 2021 11:23 PM in response to Gaz-67

Good day,

I also had the same problem before about "Other", since I only have 256GB on my M1 Macbook Pro and 240GB SSD on my 2008 Macbook.

So in my usage I found out that the biggest app using my space is Photos(since I use iCloud). What I did is re Index Spotlight, specifically Photos. After which the Other disappeared from my Storage.

Based on your screenshot, the biggest app usage is Parallels VMs. I suggest try to reindex Spotlight by following these steps: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716, when doing this, instead of Documents folder, use the Parallels VM folder.

I hope this helps

Jul 23, 2021 4:46 PM in response to PRP_53

Hi, Thanks to both the above for your replies.

Prior to installing Parallels VM, I had approximately 45-50GB of free Space. "other" files were already showing at around 50GB. When installed Parallels used 35GB, which is what is now showing as usage. So the "other" files does not included Parallels, "Other" files did not increase, or decrease after Parallels was installed.

The MacOS system uses 15GB, all my other files are kept in the cloud to save space, and both iCloud and Onedrive combined only use about 4GB of space on the hard drive.

I just do not understand what could be using the 48GB ?

A couple of months ago I had the same problem and did a complete wipe of the hard drive, re-installed all applications and and necessary files. Essentially I put back on the same files I had before the hard drive wipe, and ended with 60GB of free space and "Other" files showed as using around 4GB.

Without installing any new applications and using cloud storage for all new files, "Other" files for some reason increased to 48GB.. ?? This is what I do not understand. What has occupied approximately the 45GB ?

Apple..

"You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac."

If I cannot manage "Other" Files and it is managed by the MacOS, it seems to me that MacOS is not doing a very good job. The MacBook runs well, and seems as fast as the day I purchased it. It also ran very well on regaining 40GB+ after the Hard drive wipe.

I just do not understand that if managed by MacOS why has "Other" files increased by 45GB with no files added by myself ?

Confused :(

P.S. I followed the Spotlight suggestion and nothing has changed.

"Other" Files taking up 48GB ...WHY??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.