Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not enough disk space (occupied by Icloud)

Hello!

There is a notification about the lack of disk space. Removed unnecessary programs, large files. There is still little space. I decided to figure it out, that's what it shows in "about macbook"

- Applications 16.77GB

- Icloud Drive 10.37GB

- Documents 2.13GB

- System 11.23GB

- Other 52.73GB

Available 27.39 of 121GB

1) How can i clean the Icloud? Many files have not been accessed for a long time, why are they still stored locally and not deleted?

2) How do I know what is included in "Other"? What is this almost 60GB spent on?

According to articles on the Internet, I checked all large files, deleted everything, cleaned the cache, checked the libraries (there is the largest Mobile Documents - 10.1GB - probably it is icloud)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 10:50 AM

As I mentioned before, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7852353 explains how to delete files in the /cores folder. It looks like you are running Big Sur, and that link relates to an earlier version of the operating system, but I think it still is valid.

In your Etrecheck output, there are two pieces of software you have, Kapersky anti-virus, and Clean My Mac -- you should consider uninstalling them completely to see if it help prevent the crashes that have been causing files to be written in /cores. Normally Macs don't need or use programs like anti-virus and Clean My Mac. Some users have reported problem in the Apple Discussions that have been traced to those types of programs.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2021 10:50 AM in response to sheenkova

As I mentioned before, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7852353 explains how to delete files in the /cores folder. It looks like you are running Big Sur, and that link relates to an earlier version of the operating system, but I think it still is valid.

In your Etrecheck output, there are two pieces of software you have, Kapersky anti-virus, and Clean My Mac -- you should consider uninstalling them completely to see if it help prevent the crashes that have been causing files to be written in /cores. Normally Macs don't need or use programs like anti-virus and Clean My Mac. Some users have reported problem in the Apple Discussions that have been traced to those types of programs.

Mar 13, 2021 2:53 AM in response to steve626

Thank you, for your answer

OmniDiskSweeper is free and allows you to sweep through your entire drive and sort everything that is found by file size. This may help you identify large things that you no longer need, or if you do need them, you could move them to external storage.

I checked

What is it core files? 43GB? But "System" 13GB..

All users files a little bit (4gb, all I need)

Do you have an iPhone? If so, look in your user Library folder under the Application Support folder for a Mobilesync folder. Inside that folder are iPhone backups. Keep the ones you need, but old ones that are no longer useful to keep can be deleted.

I have iphone, but I didn't find folder Mobilesync in Application Support folder

Another folder you may have is in the user Library/iTunes and it is called iPhone Software Updates, files in that folder, if left over from old iPhone software updates, can be deleted to save space.

And this folder is missing too

Mar 12, 2021 1:10 PM in response to sheenkova

OmniDiskSweeper is free and allows you to sweep through your entire drive and sort everything that is found by file size. This may help you identify large things that you no longer need, or if you do need them, you could move them to external storage.

Do you have an iPhone? If so, look in your user Library folder under the Application Support folder for a Mobilesync folder. Inside that folder are iPhone backups. Keep the ones you need, but old ones that are no longer useful to keep can be deleted.

Another folder you may have is in the user Library/iTunes and it is called iPhone Software Updates, files in that folder, if left over from old iPhone software updates, can be deleted to save space.

Restart your Mac, empty the trash, and also review what is in your Downloads folder in case those are no longer needed.

Old installers can be located by downloading Find Any File and searching for files whose names include

.dmg

those are installer files that you may no longer need.

Mar 13, 2021 7:42 AM in response to sheenkova

The Other category is a potpourri of files which include:

• System temporary files

• macOS system folders

• Archives and disk images (.zip, .iso, etc. - often found in the Downloads folder)

• Personal user data

• Files from the user’s library (Application Support, iCloud files, screensavers, etc.)

• Cache files

• Fonts, plugins, extensions

• Other files that are not recognized by a Spotlight search

• Media files that cannot be classified by Spotlight as a media file because they are located inside of a package

They can be located anywhere on your hard drive. The files that you have control over are located in the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Movies folders.

Mar 13, 2021 8:09 AM in response to PRP_53

They can be located anywhere on your hard drive. The files that you have control over are located in the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Movies folders.

It is only 4GB of 121.

So 43GB - Cores and 11GB - System

How I can clean macbook? More than half of the space is reserved for the "system", I can't even install the update. This is not normal

Mar 13, 2021 9:53 AM in response to sheenkova

As was already said, don't touch System.

Also,

cores

... this is a folder at the root level of your drive that you should not be able to access. Yet you can see it in your screenshot and can even see files inside it? I cannot do that on any of my Macs, the permissions are set to prevent any user from modifying or even accessing that folder. Don't touch any of those "cores" files, and the fact that you can see into that folder makes me wonder if you have altered your system in some unusual way.

Do you have some sort of custom installation, have you modified the system or permissions in some way? That might be part of the space problem you are experiencing ... it also looks like you have the smallest possible disk for a modern Mac, 128 GB. As was also suggested before, it would help to obtain an external drive and move some of your PERSONAL (not System) user files to that to save space on the internal drive.

Mar 13, 2021 8:44 PM in response to sheenkova

More on this -- "cores" contains core dumps from times that your computer crashed. On all my computers "cores" has zero space used, there are no files in that area. So the fact that yours is using more than half of your disk is a problem.

Do you have any idea why yours has so many core dumps inside "cores"? One way to unravel this might be to download and run Etrecheck, a free diagnostic program written by one of the experts in these Discussion forums. Then post the output here, people may be able to find out from Etrecheck's output why your computer is crashing so often.

Mar 14, 2021 3:17 AM in response to steve626

Yet you can see it in your screenshot and can even see files inside it? I cannot do that on any of my Macs, the permissions are set to prevent any user from modifying or even accessing that folder.

No, i can only see this files

Do you have some sort of custom installation, have you modified the system or permissions in some way? That might be part of the space problem you are experiencing

No, its my work macbook, I can't install anything software..

Not sure why you have so many core dumps. If you delete those files, they will start getting created again unless you figure out why your computer is crashing so often.

All files create in strange time (night or morning), I'm sleeping.. not work, its strange

And haw can you see, last file was created 9.09.20 (9 september 2020)

I attach report (Etrecheck)

Not enough disk space (occupied by Icloud)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.