Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset my 2011 iMac 27 inch and start over?

Resurrecting my 2011 iMac 27 inch after a few years of sitting idle. I do not remember any of the past logon information and I need to completely reset it and start over. A few years ago I did remove the HD and install a 1 TB SSD also. Can anybody help? I was able to sign in on it and am now on it as a guest only.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 8:13 PM

Boot into Recovery Mode, Internet Recovery Mode, or bootable macOS USB installer, then launch Disk Utility to erase the whole physical drive. How you do this depends on the version of macOS you are installing.

If you are booting the macOS 10.11 to 10.13 installer, then select the physical drive and erase it as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled). If you are booting the macOS 10.13 installer you will need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility.

If you are booting a macOS 10.6 to 10.10 installer, then you will need to partition & format the physical drive using the instructions in this article:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 8:13 PM in response to mid-2011-27-inch-iMac-no-start

Boot into Recovery Mode, Internet Recovery Mode, or bootable macOS USB installer, then launch Disk Utility to erase the whole physical drive. How you do this depends on the version of macOS you are installing.

If you are booting the macOS 10.11 to 10.13 installer, then select the physical drive and erase it as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled). If you are booting the macOS 10.13 installer you will need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility.

If you are booting a macOS 10.6 to 10.10 installer, then you will need to partition & format the physical drive using the instructions in this article:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

How to reset my 2011 iMac 27 inch and start over?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.