Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to drag an imported photo from the app unto the desktop

Hi dear friend, I'm running Big Sur on an 2021 M1 iMac. When using the photos app I can drag a photo from the desktop into the app. After the import and some editing I try to drag the image out of the app and into my desktop. This gives me a beach ball for minutes and I have to force quit.

What am I not understand or doing wrong?

I already turned off icloud uploads. But that does not solve it.

Please help. Greetings Gino

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 12:56 AM

Hi

First, dragging to the desktop is not the best way, because you don't even know if you are getting a full resolution image that way. (It only drags the preview file, not a full quality image).

Better is to select the image, then from the image menu image>export. you can then select size, quality and export location (which can be the desktop if you wish)

Regarding why the drag is not working.

1 - Where is your library stored - on your system drive, or somewhere else?

2 - Do you use iCloud with "optimise mac storage" selected.

3 - Do you have "copy items to photos library" set in photos preferences?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2021 12:56 AM in response to GinoKuijpers

Hi

First, dragging to the desktop is not the best way, because you don't even know if you are getting a full resolution image that way. (It only drags the preview file, not a full quality image).

Better is to select the image, then from the image menu image>export. you can then select size, quality and export location (which can be the desktop if you wish)

Regarding why the drag is not working.

1 - Where is your library stored - on your system drive, or somewhere else?

2 - Do you use iCloud with "optimise mac storage" selected.

3 - Do you have "copy items to photos library" set in photos preferences?

Unable to drag an imported photo from the app unto the desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.