Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having problems inserting photos into apps.

Community - I'm having problems inserting photos in to apps. In particular (this morning) as a profile pic for a contact in Contacts. But, generally also into emails in the Mail app.

The first issue is that it seems like we are only allowed to insert images from the Photos app. I would like to be able to be able to upload an image from any image type file (jpg png, etc) in any folder on my mac, or even from a flash-drive.

The second, and more critical problem, is that when I try to upload from the Photos app., I have been unable to locate the image I want. 1) There seems to be no logical rhyme or reason to where photos are located; 2) The window we have to search in is so small it is difficult to use; and, more frustrating is that the Table of Contents (or Photos window) I am given to search from in the Mail or Contacts app does not seem to correspond with the Table of Contents I get when I open my Photos app.

I took a screen shot of those table of contents next to each other to illustrate. Hopefully you can see that they are not the same, not even the Albums are the same.

Note: When I inserted the image below, I had the ability to chose it from any file in any folder on my computer, which is what I like. But even more strange is that I was not given the option to select an image from Photos.

See, image below. And thank you in advance for your time.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 11:14 AM

scutarius wrote:

#1 - The first issue is that it seems like we are only allowed to insert images from the Photos app. I would like to be able to be able to upload an image from any image type file (jpg png, etc) in any folder on my mac, or even from a flash-drive.

#2 - The second, and more critical problem, is that when I try to upload from the Photos app., I have been unable to locate the image I want. 1) There seems to be no logical rhyme or reason to where photos are located; 2) The window we have to search in is so small it is difficult to use; and, more frustrating is that the Table of Contents (or Photos window) I am given to search from in the Mail or Contacts app does not seem to correspond with the Table of Contents I get when I open my Photos app.
I took a screen shot of those table of contents next to each other to illustrate. Hopefully you can see that they are not the same, not even the Albums are the same.
Note: When I inserted the image below, I had the ability to chose it from any file in any folder on my computer, which is what I like. But even more strange is that I was not given the option to select an image from Photos.

#1 - You can upload an image from any location on your drive. For example, to load a photo from a folder to this forum I would click on the Add Image button and get this:

#2 - do you have more than one library? When you use the add photos button in Mail it goes to the library that's enabled as the System Photos Library.

So if you have an other library that's open and it's not the System Photos Library you will get different albums, etc.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2022 11:14 AM in response to scutarius

scutarius wrote:

#1 - The first issue is that it seems like we are only allowed to insert images from the Photos app. I would like to be able to be able to upload an image from any image type file (jpg png, etc) in any folder on my mac, or even from a flash-drive.

#2 - The second, and more critical problem, is that when I try to upload from the Photos app., I have been unable to locate the image I want. 1) There seems to be no logical rhyme or reason to where photos are located; 2) The window we have to search in is so small it is difficult to use; and, more frustrating is that the Table of Contents (or Photos window) I am given to search from in the Mail or Contacts app does not seem to correspond with the Table of Contents I get when I open my Photos app.

#1 - You can upload an image from any location on your drive. For example, to load a photo from a folder to this forum I would click on the Add Image button and get this:

#2 - do you have more than one library? When you use the add photos button in Mail it goes to the library that's enabled as the System Photos Library.

So if you have an other library that's open and it's not the System Photos Library you will get different albums, etc.

Oct 22, 2022 11:10 AM in response to scutarius

The first issue is that it seems like we are only allowed to insert images from the Photos app. I would like to be able to be able to upload an image from any image type file (jpg png, etc) in any folder on my mac, or even from a flash-drive.

This isn't true. You don't even need to sue Photos if you don't want. If you want to add a photo to an email you can simply use the attach feature on your client and use it to attach a photo like you would any other file.

I'm not sure I understand your second query.

Enable the sidebar on the Upload dialogue:

Oct 22, 2022 5:07 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad

Thank you. I will check to see if I have more than one Library. And if I do try to see how to correct.

But, as to being able to upload an image from any drive, I figured it out for Mail. Thanks.

But, I definitely do not see any such option available when I want to insert an image in Contacts (its to upload a profile pic).

Having problems inserting photos into apps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.