Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 doesn't allow scheduled Mac shutdown.

My MacMini M1 is scheduled to shut down every night. However, sometimes a Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 connection is left open and it blocks the shutdown. Is there a setting or fix to avoid the block and ensure full shutdown?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 6:33 AM

Ensure that the remote desktop connection is closed before any shutdown event because like Apple Mail still communicating with remote mail servers, remote desktop is doing so with the Windows 10 Pro (or Linux) box, and current network connections will block a shutdown request until that network connection ends, or times out.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2021 6:33 AM in response to DukeAtreides

Ensure that the remote desktop connection is closed before any shutdown event because like Apple Mail still communicating with remote mail servers, remote desktop is doing so with the Windows 10 Pro (or Linux) box, and current network connections will block a shutdown request until that network connection ends, or times out.

Jul 25, 2021 9:39 AM in response to DukeAtreides

DukeAtreides wrote:

I understand. I am asking if there is a setting or policy that would allow a RDC disconnect upon Mac shutdown. After all, one can disconnect manually from an RDC session. Why not on scheduled shutdown?

Seems like a good question for Microsoft's RDC team. There may be something behind the manual disconnect action that sends something from RDC to Windows 10 Pro to tell it let go of the open network port connection, but that is not present in an external System Shutdown signal.

At some point, I may order an Intel NUC with Windows 10 Pro and use RDC myself, but not there yet.

Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 doesn't allow scheduled Mac shutdown.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.