Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail preferences won't show in Mojave for primary account

Searched this site for an answer, no luck. Running Mojave 10.14.6, 2018 intel MacMini. When selected, all I get is blank dialog box (general). Tried the new folder fix and there is no existing folder for the primary account. Created a new Test account and all seems to work. Have previously re-installed Mojave, no luck. Most system preference windows work, just not for Mail. Should I reset the Mail app?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 6:28 PM

I followed the instructions posted by leroyDouglas

leroydouglas

and solved the problem by

Quit mail.

Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy & Paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Highlight all the contents.

Then right-click and choose "New Folder with Selection”. Do not move the new folder from this current location.

You can close the Finder window.

The next step will be to restart the Mac and test

After the computer is restarted, open the Mail Preferences to see if it opens properly.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2021 6:28 PM in response to BDAqua

I followed the instructions posted by leroyDouglas

leroydouglas

and solved the problem by

Quit mail.

Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy & Paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Highlight all the contents.

Then right-click and choose "New Folder with Selection”. Do not move the new folder from this current location.

You can close the Finder window.

The next step will be to restart the Mac and test

After the computer is restarted, open the Mail Preferences to see if it opens properly.

Jul 24, 2021 3:17 PM in response to cirripedia

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part of the above is between the quote marks...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Jul 24, 2021 5:08 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you BDAqua,

Have performed the safeboot exercise, no effect. I have Etrecheck, but don't know what I am looking for. The preference dialog box is present in a new account, but not in this primary account. The Library/container/apple.com.mail folder in in the test account, but not in the primary account. Thank you for the suggestions, will try them and get back.

Jul 26, 2021 10:46 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you BDAqua for the additional help. Unfortunately following your suggestion I discovered another problem. I don't have Read & Write privileges for the Home Folder. This MacMini was purchased from CustomBuiltMac on Ebay, an Apple VAR reseller. I need to contact him to see if there is a password for the Home Folder. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Mail preferences won't show in Mojave for primary account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.