Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different macs have same name in airdrop

I have 2 macs. In "Sharing" one is Tom's MacBookPro and the other is Tom'sNewMacBookPro. Today in AirDrop a Finder window on "NewMacBookPro" correctly showed "MacBookPro", but a Finder window on "MacBookPro" also showed "MacBookPro" - itself! Confusing but I tried it anyway and dragging a file on "MacBookPro" to "MacBookPro" in the AirDrop window transferred it to "NewMacBookPro".

Why is "NewMacBookPro" showing up as "MacBookPro" in AirDrop? It shows the icon that I use for myself in contacts, originally set up on "MacBookPro", so I suspect it has something to do with sharing contacts, but I don't know why that would override the name in "Sharing". TIA for any suggestions to fix.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 10:49 AM

Try changing the name of one of the MBPs in the System/Sharing preference pane. Reboot all devices and check to see if the change works.

Similar questions

1 reply

Different macs have same name in airdrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.