Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the selected device has no output controls

I am trying to stream sound to a soundbar connected to a monitor. It goes like this:

Mac - Type-c-to-type-c - Monitor - analog 3.5 mm cable - soundbar.

The monitor allows outputting the sound through analog cable. However, I get this

when trying to select it as the output device. Am I doing something wrong?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 1:28 PM

I would contact Dell. They should tell you what ways it transmits audio.

You can verify the Audio is being carried by checking the Audio Midi Setup Utility in Applications -> Utilities

Use the lowest frequency and bit rate possible as your device may not support higher frequencies or bit rates.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2021 1:28 PM in response to goosykey

I would contact Dell. They should tell you what ways it transmits audio.

You can verify the Audio is being carried by checking the Audio Midi Setup Utility in Applications -> Utilities

Use the lowest frequency and bit rate possible as your device may not support higher frequencies or bit rates.

Jul 26, 2021 1:07 PM in response to a brody

Thanks for the quick reply,

I am currently going through specifications for my dell u2419hc monitor, and it doesn't say anything beyond that it DOES carry audio through usb. Are you implying that it is digital audio? Then, why does the monitor have an analog audio output? There's no separate analog input on the monitor. What's the way to carry the analog audio signal then? It does not make much sense to me =(

My soundbar does not connect over wifi, it supports bluetooth, however I play stuff on a MIDI keyboard, and bluetooth connection is a no-go in this case because the latency is annoying, I need a wired connection. The soundbar supports optical, analog 3.5 mm, and HDMI ARC

Aug 1, 2021 9:15 AM in response to a brody

OK I did contact Dell. We're on it, but it seems now that the problem is on the side of our dearest fruit vendor.

I tried the same scheme with a Windows-based PC, and it works fine (usb-c to the monitor, then analog to the soundbar). Somehow mac just doesn't see output capabilities of the monitor, albeit it does display it in the sound output options in the preferences. Also, the same Mac doesn't work as intended in this topic when running Windows in bootcamp (doesn't detect the output option at all), although there it might be a driver problem.

Aug 1, 2021 5:19 PM in response to goosykey

OK, so here's how USB-C works on a Mac.

Generally it carries data and with the right cables video, or just power.

An adapter to audio can be had and with a good pass through USB-C adapter, and if the USB-C adapter has a minimum of 100W passthrough manage HDMI or Displayport video output. Obviously if it is giving that sort of video output, it will support audio too.

This is why if the soundbar supports Bluetooth audio, or you can get an audio out cable to go to the soundbar's audio input, you may be better off.

the selected device has no output controls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.